Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1600s Kippax Wills
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:49 am 
Natural Geek

Hi all,

Long time no speak! As a new(ish) Dad I've not found time for much genealogy stuff for quite some time, but thought these references would be of interest to at least myself and Gloria.

Supra Kippax Richard of Marsden 1623 (FHL British Film 89500)
Supra Kippax Richard of Marsden, yeoman 1650 (PCC in London)
Supra Kippax Edward of Marsden Admon with Inv 1677 (FHL British Film 89630)
Supra Kippax Edward of Marsden Admon with Inv 1695 (FHL British Film 89688)

I think it's fairly likely that the third one on the list is the Edward K born to John and Jenet Kippax in 1606. I think the final one is the Edward who is the son of the third one, who seems to change his will when his illegit. son with Grace Simpson is on the way.

As for the first two - there has to be some connection, especially given the Marsden address, but John and Jenet are as far back as I've gone with this line.

If anyone's got the time/motivation to collect any of these, I think they'd shine some fascinating light on these earliest Kippaxes of Marsden.

Hope you're all well :)

Post subject: Re: 1600s Kippax Wills
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:28 am 
Computer Whizz

Hi Stephen New(ish) dad, good to hear from you.
Kris got me copies of a few Kippax and Brierley wills when he was in London. Where did you dig these up from? I did a search (obviously not very successfully) a while back and could find none.
I am on the case.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:00 pm 
Natural Geek

Thanks Gloria!

I got them from this little known website:

http://user.xmission.com/~nelsonb/lws.htm

There's some amazing stuff on there. The data's all valid too, as I have been able to get some from Lancs Record Office in the past. Just hadn't thought to look for Kippaxes before!

I don't know if anyone frequents any LDS centres, but presumably the wills would be obtainable from there, too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:26 pm 
Computer Whizz

We are quite near the LDS at Chorley, and Lancashire Records Office at Preston. I will try to make time next week to go. I have e-mailed the Records Office to see if they have those.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:19 pm 
Natural Geek

Excellent stuff! I look forward to hearing of any progress.

Btw - just dug this out of a (virtual) drawer. Does this summary of the earliest Kippaxes fit in with your own findings?

John 'Kepas' and Jenet Hargreaves were married in 1602 at St. Bart's in Colne. They had several children; Richard (1603), Richard again (04), Edward (06), John (08), infant (09), Alexander (12) and Henry (14). Jenet probably died in 1650.

One of their sons, Edward 'Kepas' (born 1606) married Ellena Wilson at St. Bart's in 1632 and had children Jeneta (1633), John (35), Elizabeth (37), infant (39), Maria (41), William (43), Isabella (46), Edward (52), Elizabeth (55). The family lived in Marsden and Edward died in Lower Marsden. Ellena died in 1679.

Their son Edward (born 1652 in Colne) seemed to have a family born to him between 1681 and 1692 (including Ellen, Anna, William, Richard and Alexander, all of Clay, Lower Marsden, and born to 'Edward Kippax, scrivener/scriber'). It is unknown if this is 'our' Edward however. Our Edward does have an illegitimate child later, named Edward, in Clay, Lower Marsden, in 1696. When the child was four, Edward married the child's mother, Grace Simpson.

The young Edward eventually grew up and had children including James in 1719 at Little Marsden and Robert Kippax in 1720.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:11 pm 
Computer Whizz

I think it does Stephen. I also think we have thrashed through this before.
I find back to Edward (the bastard) pretty much sorted, but prior to that it gets sorted more by process of elimination, through lack of "paperwork".
I will be back with more info -- I hope. Nice to get my teeth into something again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:35 am 
Spider Lady

Thanks for the link Stephen. I've just searched Sutcliffe. I think I have stumbled on most of the results but I don't think I have seen them all so now need to cross check them against what I already have.

Nice to see you are still about. :D

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:26 am 

I was thrilled to find the reference to the Lancashire wills site - and think I have found one of mine (a Holt not a Kippax).

As I live in London I had decided that following it up would have to wait until goodness knows when. However, Gloria, I wonder if there is any chance that if you do go to Chorley or Preston next week you might have time to look up an index reference for me. No problem if you can't. If you can, I might be able to return the favour some time at the National Archives at Kew!

The person I am interested in is John Holt of Barrowford, died 1807. The references are British Film 88992 or 3 - original wills F-H 1 and 2.

I am looking for corroborative evidence that he is the son of Henry (of Pasture), husband of Betty, father of James bapt 1778 and my ancestor.

Good luck with your own searches.

Ruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:30 pm 
Computer Whizz

I was waiting to hear back from Preston before I go, so not sure as yet what day it will be, BUT, yes Ruth I will see what I can find.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:16 pm 

Gloria, very many thanks. No rush from my point of view.

Ruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:19 pm 
Computer Whizz

Not heard anything from Preston as yet. Probably won't be going this week now, if not, I will definitely go next week.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:03 am 
Computer Whizz

I have got this first thing this morning---

Dear Mrs Greenwood,
Please note, this Office does not hold Prerogative Court of Canterbury (PCC) wills and I believe they are held at the National Archives:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

We now offer colour images on CD or USB. Please add £2.50 per order for a CD or £5 for a USB.

Please note, you will need Adobe Acrobat reader 9.1 to open these files, and please make clear which option you require.
Quotation for copies of archives
Thank you for your application. The cost of the copies you have requested is as follows:

Document Reference or Description Amount Comments
WCW Richard Kepas (Kippax) 1623 £5
Richard Kippax 1650 - PCC will, please contact the National Archives.
WCW Edward Kippax 1677 £5 Administration bond & inventory only, no will.
WCW Edward Kippax 1695 £5 Administration bond & inventory only, no will. Fragile, bits missing.

The total cost of the copies you have requested is £15.00 for b/w photocopies, £17.50 for colour images on CD or £20.00 for images on USB including postage and VAT. If you would like us to supply all or some of these copies please let us know within the next 30 days. Please make clear when paying for your order, which option you are paying for.

Please note, this quotation is valid for 1 month only.

I am attaching a copyright declaration form for you to sign and return with your completed payment form. We can currently accept card payment details only by post or fax (01772 533050), and not by e-mail. You may pay by sterling cheque made payable to Lancashire County Council, drawn on a UK bank. Please return to The Archives Service Manager, Lancashire Archives, Lancashire Record Office, Bow Lane, Preston, PR1 2RE.

If you have references of further documents you are interested in, please request them in separate correspondence when your current order has been completed.

Please do not ask for any substitutions or items to be added or to your order.
Your copies will be sent as soon as we have received payment. If you need any further information please let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:30 am 

So, they're available at Kew, where I can go and check things out myself. Thank you.

By strange (and slightly frustrating coincidence), I looked at your post, Gloria, 10 minutes after my husband set out for a day at the National Archives!

Ruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:51 pm 
Computer Whizz

I think I may have one of these inventories somewhere :? I remember taking it to one of the first Briercliffe History Society meetings, it was very old so could well be one of these-----I will have a furtle through all my bits and bobs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:32 pm 
Computer Whizz

FOUND IT :D
12 pages of very difficult to read english/latin.
Goods, chatels and credits of Edward Kippax dated 1677
Richard Kippax dated 1711
Another one dated 1695 mentioning Edward Kippax and Elizabeth Kippax on which there are signatures of Elizabeth Kippax, R. Kippax

It is all very hard to read, and that is probably why it was back in the envelope.
If anyone wants a look I will gladly meet up somewhere----possibly the Haggate meeting. It lists household goods and valuations. Also it mentions under Edward, a shop and its contents.

There is a mention of Richard Kippax son of John Kippax late of Bradley in Lancashire Yeoman.