Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Clark (Ann & Olive)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:41 pm 

Hi,
We're looking for information on either of two Clark women.

I'm writing from California. My last-known family in the UK died in 2002.
It was my Grandmother, Olive Clark b. 1910 @ 118 Briercliffe Road Burnley 6.D. (at that time, the Burnley Workhouse or Union Hospital)
Her mother is listed as "Ann Clark a Hawker of 9 Pickup Court Burnley 6.D."

I have a copy of the 1911 census which lists Ann Clark Hawker/Peddlar Age 32 Single @ 118 Briercliffe Road Burnley 6.D.
Her birthplace is listed as Southport ~1879
I do not see Olive in the workhouse census. I see an "Olive Clare" who is 7 months, but Olive would have been 12-14 months.

I know Olive was born and raised in the workhouse.
She did not know who her father was.
We know Ann "left the workhouse" when Olive was young, but never returned for her.
Olive received a couple packages from Canada as a child.
A man came to visit Olive once at the workhouse and brought her a present.
Olive said she went to Burnley High School for Girls. (Part of a be-nice-to-orphans project).
At age 31, Olive's address on her marriage certificate in 1941 is 8 Wynotham Street Burnley, working as Filling Hand Munitions Works
Even in her 80s, Olive was not able to speak about her childhood without crying. So she never shared much information.

I have a lot of questions which may not belong in this thread. My apologies.
• Was the address "9 Pickup Court Burnley 6.D." part of the workhouse? I can't find it on current maps.
• Is there a way to search Burnley School for Girls for a record of Olive?
• Is there a way to search correspondences of Burnley Workhouse to possibly get information on Olive's packages or visitors? See if Ann had any visitors?
• Was 8 Wynotham Street Burnley a half-way house for workhouse inmates? It's only 3 blocks from the 118 Briercliffe Rd.
• Was there a munitions factory in Burnley? I could only find one in Chorley, but this person said there was http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peoples ... 9105.shtml.

I'm at a dead-end.
Any suggestions or knowledge is appreciated.

Thank you!
Meredith
Granddaughter of Fred Dyson & Olive Clark

Post subject: Re: Clark (Ann & Olive)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:01 pm 
Computer Whizz

Hi Meredith, welcome to the site, not sure if I can give you any answers to be of use.
There was a Royal Ordnance factory (munitions) in Blackburn, we are pretty sure there wasn't one in Burnley.
All the records for Burnley Workhouse are in the Records Office in Preston, you could try e-mailing them to see if they would have the answers. If they have, then I have to go there at some time soon so I could look at them. I have ancestors who were there in the early 1900s which I need to look at records for.
I googled Pickup Court and it came up as part of Pickup Croft, which I believe was in Burnley centre near the police station.
Hope this is of some help.
Gloria

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:21 pm 
Computer Whizz

Found a reference to Pickup Croft here near the bottom, left hand column.
http://www.jacknadin2.50megs.com/

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:22 pm 

Regarding WWII munitions production in Burnley - the American firm Ekco Products purchased the Burnley company Platers and Stampers in 1936. From 1939 to 1945 this factory produced munitions and carried on work for the MOD until 1953. The firm began to use the Prestige brand name in 1956.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:06 pm 

Pickup Court was between Pickup St: and Norton St. Grid Ref; 384310 432460. A similar court between the two streets was Spencer's Court. Pickup Court is approximate at the No2 Stand on the new Burnley bus station It can been seen on the 1892 Burnley map but not identified in detail on the "Mario" map

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:26 pm 

In the early war years before my father was called up to do his bit for King and Country he worked at the Chorley munitions factory. There were special trains that took workers from Burnley to Chorley. Remember people work VERY long days during the war years.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:01 am 

Hi everyone,
Thank you for the information!
I'm really sorry I didn't see them until now. (I had assumed I'd get an email when someone replied, but I hadn't checked the "Notify me" box.)

Gloria, if you ever return to the records office in Preston and wouldn't mind looking for remarks on Olive or Ann Clark I would be grateful. :)
I'm hoping there are notes from the warden regarding the departure of Ann Clark or the packages Olive received.

Some additional info to what I wrote before:
Ann Clark left the workhouse, we believe, by 1916 - only because Olive cannot describe her and says she never had parents.
Regarding packages from Canada Olive said she received as a child - She thought is was from a man, but she didn't remember a name.
She experienced ridicule and discrimination - People in town commented about Olive, "well, we know whose child she is" - making her think perhaps her father was well known in town. I can't help but wonder if her mother was well known for peddling in the streets.
At some point, Olive started spelling her last name as Clarke - that's how it's listed on her marriage certificate.

I also found some photos of Olive as a child on holiday to Blackpool (I think). But I don't know if she went with a workhouse group or her school. I'll scan and post pictures sometime.

The info on Pickup Court tells me that Ann was not an inmate at the workhouse up until she gave birth. Thank you for that!

The munitions factory find was so interesting... my mother didn't realize either of her parents ever worked there. Much less, likely met there on the job. :)

Thank you all so much for your replies.
Meredith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:15 pm 

Using http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/ ,a free web site, you can get a reference to the birth of an Olive Clark. You may have already got this information. You may have to spread the bottom line detail out to get them to line up with the headings.
Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1910
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
CLARK Olive Burnley East Preston CLARK BUE/42/67

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:57 am 

:) There were at least two munitions factories in Burnley.
The other one, for sure, was at Stoneyholme Mill on Grosvenor Street and I think it was known as Aldergate. My Mother worked there as a teenager, and the building was owned by my Great Grandfather and Grandfather John and Billy Pickard. trading as J. Pickard and Son. That factory became part of Lucas after the war and remained so for some years. Later they even worked on what became the Rolls Royce Nene 10 engine components for Frank Whittle.

Whilst my mother Jean Pickard worked in the factory during the war on a turret lathe making brass shell cases, the men of the family were engaged on "Work of National Importance" part of which was the taking down of the iron railings locally, and shipping them by rail to the Ministry of War.

They also scrapped off old military equipment being returned to Burnley by train from the front. Things like damaged field guns, tank parts and gun carriages etc and we had photos in the family of them doing this work when I was kid. Their main job was to strip the things down to see if they could be repaired in the factory, and if not to scrap the metal to be reprocessed ready to go to the foundries for making new equipment.

They couldn't get enough petrol for their Leyland internal combustion engined wagons bought from Tillotsons at the top of Manchester Road, so they went up to Scotland and bought a load of Shirehorses and brought them back to Burnley. Grandad walked them back from Scotland with a couple of the lads.
They had previously obtained Old Hall Farm at the top of Stoneyholme near the gasometer, and they kept the horses there. Then they used the old horse drawn carts that had been stacked up on top of each other in the yard next to the gasworks wall when petrol wagons came in.
My Grandad and Great Grandad couldnt bear to part with the horse drawn equipment after the first war, when gasoline engines took over, and so they had mothballed the carts and harness and retrained the carters, as wagon drivers or labourers. (Great Grandad John Pickard donated a large silver trophy, I believe, as one of the prizes for Burnley Fair for the best "Heavy Horse" in show.)

It really paid off for them during the war, when they could reintroduce horses and put the men who had worked with them back on the carts. Many of the men in Stoneyholme were saved from going to the front because they could handle the horses and work on this important effort at home in Burnley. I often wonder how many would have been killed if they had gone to France in the trenches.

Incidentally when I was a young lad, I used to hang about the works during school holidays and had to work for my keep. I knew several of the very old men who still lived in Stoneyholme in the early 1960s (Joe Hindle, Billy (Tempo) Tempest, Johnnie Pilling,) and they told me that the farm at Old Hall, as well as keeping the horses for the firm, also provided meat and Eggs and Milk for half of Stoneyholme during the war. They used a barter system, work for food, or trade other goods, like bread and bacon or coal, in fact anything to help one another survive. From what they told me there was wonderful spirit of cameraderie in the area and everyone did their bit for each other.
The workers at the firm during the war years told me that they had a tremendous respect for my Grandfather and his Father for helping many families keep going in the hard times. Despite the fact that they were the "Bosses" they still lived alongside their workmen in terraced houses on Cromwell Street and Brougham Street.
Both of them went on to be Directors of Burnley Football Club in later years and in fact the firm paid the wages at BFC during the War to keep the club going......!