Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:49 pm 

Plaques - you have done exactly what I was hoping somebody would do! (Mind you, I don't really wish to be held responsible for encouraging anybody to break their vows.) I would very much like to see your photographs, please. I am delighted to learn that the headstone is in very good condition - I expect that the inscription is therefore easy to read. I am happy for Mel to pass my e-mail address on to you but you can send them through the administrator if you prefer. I look forward to seeing them and thank you for taking the time and trouble to visit the burial ground on my behalf. The minister sounds a very nice person by all accounts. I agree with Mel that telephoning has the disadvantage of putting somebody on the spot, whereas a letter gives the recipient the opportunity to make a more considered response.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:52 am 
Spider Lady

I have forwarded your email to Plaques. I know what it is to receive such material, I live in Staffordshire so trips require a little planning but are well worth the effort. The view of Pendle Hill as I drive along the M65 is a sight for sore eyes.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:24 am 
Computer Whizz

Aren't there some wonderful, helpful people about?

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:50 pm 

I don't suppose any of you good people have a graveyard plan for Wheatley Lane ?

There are a number of Veevers' graves there, and I would like to try and locate them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:05 pm 
Computer Whizz

Sorry I haven't got one. I have one for Hill Lane which I got through contacting the church. If you contact Wheatley Lane I would think they would be able to help.

Last edited by Gloria on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:34 pm 

Miles Veevers. The last time I was there is nearly two years ago. The burial ground is very big and you would have no chance of finding anything by just wondering around. Fortunately, when I called in I caught the vicar when he was doing a bit of gardening. As I said before he was extremely helpful and had quite a sophisticated computer programme showing where all the graves were located. How flexible this programme is in doing name searches etc I don't know. I would certainly give him a ring.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:49 am 

Thanks, I do have all the grave numbers from Lancs OPC. Apparently Nelson Library have some plans, and I await their reply.

I do try not to pester vicar's too much, as I wonder that they may get over run with endless enquiries, and rather fed up with it.

I'm not particularly phased by the bigger cemeteries, having already tackled Manchester Southern, and Philips Park. Not to mention Burnley, where I spent 3 days, but with great success.

The most difficult one I've tackled to date was Cross Stone, at Todmorden. That was covered in brambles 6 feet tall ! Thankfully it was all cleared in 2011, and relatively tidy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:43 pm 

I just so happens that a friend of mine is writing some new software for their web site. I think he also wrote the original mapping software. I'll probably be seeing him next week and I will ask the question.
Much easier when you know where you're going. On the day of my visit the Vicar apologised for the amount of undergrowth and explained that in previous years they had assistance from young offenders workers but this wasn't always available.
Keep an eye on these postings. I will let you know how I go on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:25 am 

Nelson Library staff kindly sent me a scan of a plan for the Wheatley Lane Inghamites Burial Ground a couple of years ago. I'm sure that they'll do the same for you too but if you're feeling impatient then I will gladly forward it to you as an e-mail attachment.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:38 pm 

Thank You Richard, it would be great if you could email me a copy. I'm 200 miles away in Wiltshire, so going to the library is not an easy option.

I'm planning a trip north at Easter, but of course the libraries will be closed some of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:47 pm 

Miles - I would like to send you the attachment but this site advises me to contact the board administrator to ask to be allowed to do so. However, I cannot figure out how to contact the board administrator in order to send an attachment! Sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:11 pm 
Computer Whizz

Richard, you need to contact Mel, you will find her details under "members".

Gloria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:09 pm 

Richard. I have sent you a pm with my email address. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:22 pm 

Thank you, Miles. I have now sent you an e-mail with attachment.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:20 am 
Spider Lady

I've just replied to your PM Richard but see that you are all sorted now :D

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!