Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ecroyd
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:27 am 
Spider Lady

The Leeds Mercury

Saturday 7 October 1826

On the 28th ult. at the Friends' Meeting-house, in Liverpool, Mr. Wm. Ecroyd, of Linerhaye, near Burnley, to Miss Margaret Farrer, of Kirkdale, eldest daughter of William Farrer, of Lambrigg, near Kendal.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject: Re: Ecroyd
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:33 am 
Spider Lady

Leeds Mercury

Saturday 10 November 1821

On the 17th ult. at the Friends' Meeting-House, Settle, Mr. William Ecroyd, son of Mr. Richard Ecroyd, of Marsden, to Elizabeth, daughter of Mr. John Tatham, of the former place.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:44 pm 

'Linerhaye' being 'Lomeshawe' !

Rex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:46 pm 

Or, rather, 'Lomeshaye' !

Rex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:33 pm 
Spider Lady

The Pall Mall Gazette

Thursday October 14 1869

ECROYD - FOSTER
At Hastings, Mr. Wm. Farrer Ecroyd, of Spring Cottage, near Burnley, to Anna Maria, eldest daughter of Mr. George Foster, of Sabden, Lancashire, Oct. 12.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:27 pm 
Spider Lady

The Liverpool Mercury

Friday 29 December 1837

On Wednesday, the 20th instant, at the Friends' Meeting House, Marsden, Lancashire, Mr. J. Latham, jun. of Settle, to Miss Ecroyd of Lomeshaye.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:26 pm 
Spider Lady

The Liverpool Mercury

Tuesday 27 March 1849

March 15, at the Friends' Meeting-house, Bradford, William Ecroyd, of Lomeshaye, near Burnley, worsted manufacturer, to Elizabeth Stansfield, of Bradford.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:28 pm 
Spider Lady

The Manchester Times

Saturday 17 July 1874

Ecroyd-Woodhead
On the 14th inst., at the Friends' Meeting House, Manchester, Richard, son of William Ecroyd, of Lomeshaye, near Burnley, to Emily, daughter of Godfrey Woodhead, of Manchester.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:23 pm 

I appear to opening up some very old postings on Ecroyd but for different reasons than those in the past. For those familiar with the Spring Cottage in Lomeshaye , Nelson. They may have noticed that it has been totally rebuilt from the burnt out ruin back into an absolutely splendid building. The stonework still retains the armorial coat of arms of the Ecroyd's, but to which branch I don't know. For me this has become the starting point of a "who lived where" search. So far I seemed to have found four houses occupied at various times by the Ecroyd's.
Folds House, Briercliffe.
Edge End Hall, Brierfield.
Spring Cotage, Lomeshaye.
Lomeshaye House. Lomeshaye.
Who lived where and for how long remains a mystery. Can anyone help?.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:20 pm 
Computer Whizz

In the 1851 census,
William Ecroyd worsted spinner and manufacturer lived with his family at "Lomeshaye", it doesn't give anything any more specific about the address. there are quite a few families under Lomeshaye.
In the 1861 census the same family still at Lomeshaye.
And in 1871 the same family same address.
In 1861 William Farrer Ecroyd and family living at Spring Cottage, there are four seperate families there and one at Spring Cottage Lodge.
In 1881 this family are still at Spring Cottage.
In 1891 there doesn't appear to be any Ecroyds in Nelson area.

Hope this is of some help.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:25 pm 
Computer Whizz

I have had a look in Roger's book and there is quite a bit on the Ecroyds in that. 1544 Richard Ecroyd bought Foulds House for £46-13s-4d.
If you want any more info please ask.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:12 pm 

Thanks Gloria, As I said what started all this off was seeing the old Spring Cottage restored to its original condition. Also, knowing in my mind that the Ecroyd's were Quakers and by all accounts very progressive employers. What struck me as odd was seeing a coat of arms on the building. The left half of the shield appears to be the "Ecroyd's" but I've no idea who the "Cross" on the right hand side is attributed to. So at this point all information is welcome.

Attachments:
P4100275AC.jpg
P4100275AC.jpg [ 66.07 KiB | Viewed 17299 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:51 pm 
Computer Whizz

It may be worth contacting http://www.lfhhs.org/branch.php?br=5
it's the heraldry branch of the LFHHS, they may recognise the right half of the shield.

Have you read The History of Marsden and Nelson by W Bennett? there is a great deal about the history of Spring Cottage, Lomeshaye and the Ecroyds. It says Spring Cottage was originally a little farm of 12 acres, but the present house was built about 1800 by Benjamin Townson. Various owners enlarged and altered the house to make it a comfortable home with it's own private reservoir and an acre of gardens and lawns. it mentions various famous tenants including William Farrer Ecroyd.

Just as a by the by I had my 21st there--- many years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:58 pm 
Computer Whizz

This may be of interest--
Another of the clothiers was Henry Ecroyd of Edge End. He was the head of the family that had lived at Folds House, Brierclilffe, for at least three centuries, but in the early 18th century had bought estates at Edge End, where he was living in 1735, and at Lomeshaye, where a Richard Ecroyd, his son, lived. The Ecroyds were Quakers and the acquisition of Edge End from the Hargreaves family, also Quakers and clothiers, seems to have been a friendly business transaction. Richard married Elizabeth Tipping, the heiress to Heyhead, and their son, John, before 1770, had bought Mansfield, Limefield, and most of the land between Heyhead and Colne Road, Brierfield; in addition, the Ecroyds possessed a great part of Marsden Heights.

I wonder if Elizabeth Tipping, the heiress, is the cross on the right side of the shield? i have never heard of her, and there is no mention of the Tipping family in the index. And, where is Heyhead??
Found it on a map in the book -- about quarter way down Halifax Rd on the south side (opposite side to Mansfield School).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:10 pm 

Thanks Gloria, I take it you were quoting from Bennett's book. Which I haven't read. A call in Nelson library is now a priority. As always all the big wig families were intermarried. Gets very messy trying to sort it all out. About the coat of arms, My first though was it was associated with William Farrer Ecroyd after he moved from Quakerism to Anglicanism after his fathers death. The Farrer's seemed to have a strong influence on the family. William Farrer Ecroyd's second son changed is name to William Farrer dropping the Ecroyd bit to fit in with a "Farrer" will condition. I think it was this second son who re-purchased Foulds House again under the name "Farrer". Incidentally, there is a Farrer St near the Spring Bank Mill built on land owned by the Ecroyd's. Evidently a lot more digging is required.