Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Software
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:00 pm 

Hi Andrew

Great to hear from you and thank you for filling me in on the origins of the name Spendlove - it's a fascinating name!

Your great grandfather Spendlove Mills was the son of Sanders Davis Mills and Sarah (nee Sutcliffe). Sanders Mills was the son of William Mills and Ann (who married in Huntingdonshire in the early 1830's). I'm attempting to put the pieces of the jigsaw together - do you know if Ann's maiden name was Davis?

If not - I'd be so grateful if you could outline how Sanders Davis and Jane Spendlove fit into the jigsaw!

Thanks again and cheers!

Alison

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:09 pm 

Hi Alison,

Yes, Sanders father was William Mills b.1808. Sanders Mother was Ann Davis b.1814. Williams Father (i believe) was also called William Mills b.1787. Ann Davis father was Mark Davis and her mother was Hannah Saunders b.1793ish.

I also think Mark Davis' father was Called Francis Davis, But don't take it as read because I have my doubts as there is no documents to prove it that I can find.

If you would like to see where the Spendlove family came from follow the link below. Look through the old Photos of Gretton and you will see a couple of Spendlove surnamed families. Also there is now a road called Spendlove Drive in Gretton. It's a fairly modern looking road but I'm pleased the history lives on.

http://www.kellner.eclipse.co.uk/gretto ... andp00.htm

The Davis family came from Spaldwick in what was Huntingdonshire (now Cambs). According to Mary there are lots of Davis burials in the church there. I'll pop up there soon to check it out.

Good luck with your research!

Cheers,

Andrew.

Last edited by Andrew on Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:29 pm 

Sanders Mills 1847 - 1900 was my great grandfather and Jane Levitt his first wife was my great grandmother. Spendlove was my grand uncle. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:22 am 
Spider Lady

Another connection in this line!

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:42 am 

Thanks Andrew for the info - I guessed I was barking up the correct (family) tree, and you have confirmed my suspicions!

I've just been looking at the before and after photos of Gretton - wonderful!! What a very pretty looking village.

And hello and welcome to "Jack Sparrow" - another leaf on our trees!!

Cheers! Alison x

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:58 am 

Andrew
Thanks for the wealth of information about Sanders Davis, I have plotted everyone I could find in the Census, including the Spendloves. Sanders Davis Mills (1847) was my great grandfather and Sanders Davis (1829) was my great(2x) greatuncle. I have not been able to find any evidence of Sanders Davis first wife, but Elizabeth Davis (1855) must have been her daughter, their other children were born to Jane Elizabeth Spendlove. Have you any leads on his first wife?.
Thanks again
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:47 pm 

Hi Everyone
I too am the great grandaughter of Sanders Davis Mills and Jane Levitt.( Sanders first wife). Great to see the research is coming on a pace!
violet
Hi to my cousin's !! :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:37 pm 
Spider Lady

Wow!
Perhaps this should be the Sanders frum and not Briercliffe :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:16 am 
Spider Lady

I may be a little slow of late - I have discovered this morning that the Latterday Saints/Familysearch website no longer offers or supprts PAF...since July 2013!

They suggest 3 different alternatives - Ancestral Quest, Legacy and Roots Magic. Does anyone have any experience of any of them?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:11 pm 
Computer Whizz

Not used any of those. Still plodding along with the PAF I downloaded from them ages ago.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:57 pm 
Spider Lady

I had a really odd issue with PAF this morning. Trying to keep the explanation simple - I saved new info for Nellie. Then went to William and saved new info for him. Went back to Nellie and the new info had partly disappeared and Williams new info was in its place. After re-doing and checking several times, closing the program and re-opening, shutting the pc down and restarting and still getting the same problem I thought I would have a look to see if it was a known issue. Anyway, that was when I stumbled on the 'no longer supported or available for download since July 2013' and with the 3 options mentioned above.
I've been using PAF for about 14 years! :shock: I have opted for Legacy. I'm in the process of trying to get used to it. :? It seems to have some nice features and I think I'll be able to get along with it ok once I have adjusted and got past my not wanting to change mood :x

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:04 pm 

Yes I hit the same "not supported" statement. Although I've completed all I wanted into it I found that trying to transfer to someone else was impossible without them having the same programme. Has anyone tried to transfer into these recommended programmes?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:09 pm 
Spider Lady

I have. I exported my file from PAF as a gedcom and then imported it into the Legacy software. Everything seems to be there though I am still getting to grips with finding everything.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:25 pm 
Computer Whizz

So have I got this right----- I can still do what I want with my tree on my computer, BUT, if I want to send it to anyone else ( as in you Mel, to put on this site) in the same format it's a no no???
I shall keep my eye on you and Legacy, and then you can talk me through what you did :lol:

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:10 pm 
Spider Lady

You can still send it to anyone who already had PAF as you always have. For anyone else, and when you decide to change...should you decide to change...you need to send it as a gedcom. Most/all(?) family tree software will read a gedcom