Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:48 am 

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know which school would be close to 105 Brunshaw Road in 1861? I'm working on my Todd family again and they lived at this address.

Joan, Toronto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:31 am 

Hi, Todmorden Rd, School ( now demolished) is the nearest I can think of.

!05 is near Turf Moor Football Ground and the School was a stone throw from there.

Someone may know another? or when Todmorden Rd school was built?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:13 am 

P.S. have checked and the school I mentioned opened in 1908, but there may have been and earlier one on the site?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:18 pm 

Hannah, thank you for your response. I've been trying old maps but so far haven't come across one that shows the area with schools in 1861. I thought there may have been a church school and looked at St. Stephen's but it was opened later than 1861 and may be too far away in any case.
The Todd family moved into Burnley from Briercliffe sometime between 1858 and 1861 so I'm trying to find information about the Brunshaw Road area. I see from my current map that Brunshaw is a long road and I didn't know where 105 might be so thank you for providing the location.
Joan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:26 pm 

Yes Brunshaw Rd is a long Road but the property you want would have been on the right hand side (leaving Burnley) and Facing what is now the football ground. I believe the local team was established in the late 1800's no doubt someone will know this and give you a more accurate date.
At the date you are looking for they would probably be cottages, these were replaced by council houses.
They would be near the town centre.
I will try to track down exactly where the property would have been if I can.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:51 pm 

105 Brunshaw Rd is now called Harry Potts Way after a Burnley footballer. All the houses up to 115 Brunshaw Rd were demolished. 105 would be approximately positioned on the Burnley side of the of the Park View Inn which was built in 1905.
There would be very few schools in 1861, most of these being affiliated to some church or other. I can only think of St Mary's on Todmorden Rd (Catholic) or St Peter's on Church St (Anglican). This school is still standing. The old Grammar School at the top of School Lane was a more expensive fee paying school which was replaced by the current building in 1873.
I would start at St Peter's school if you know for sure they went to a school at all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:25 am 

Again, thank you, Hannah, and Plaques. I looked up 105 Brunshaw Road on the 1911 census. It still existed, different occupiers of course, and is described as a four-room house. I'm guessing that this was a two-up, two-down stone terraced house, part of a long row. There were ten of the Todd family plus two lodgers living there in 1861 and privacy and space must have been unknown commodities.

As far as the school is concerned St. Peter's seems a good bet. I don't know for sure that the children attended school but I should think it very likely as they were descended from Henry Todd who started Swinden School in Briercliffe in 1803. In 1861 it was being carried on by his son so education was valued in the family. If 105 was near Turf Moor then St. Peter's wouldn't have been too far away. It's one of the schools covered in the National School Admission Registers & Log-Books 1870-1914 on FindMyPast, but unfortunately the children I'm tracing would have been a bit too old to be starting school after 1870.

I really appreciate this help, especially knowing the house location and the closest school.

Joan