Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:15 pm 

As mentioned elsewhere on the Forum, I turned out not to be descended from the Briercliffe Whitaker and Stanworth families. However, I have recently come across a different, more peripheral, link to Briercliffe, which made me wonder whether anyone might be able to shed any light on any of my mother's uncles and aunts, at least one of whom had a Briercliffe connection!

My mother's mother was Mary Martha Hall nee Bannister, who was born in Nelson on 15 August 1886. She was the daughter of John Bannister and Alice (nee Whitaker). Having lived for a time in Barnoldswick, Mary Martha died back in Nelson on 23 November 1910, aged 24, when my mother was 2. My mother was informally adopted and never spoke to me about her birth family.

Mary Martha Bannister had four older siblings, a step-sister, and seven younger half siblings (meaning that there were a lot of relatives I never heard about!). Anything I do know comes from genealogical research.

Back to Briercliffe, one of Mary Martha's sisters was Annie Bannister, born in Nelson in 1877. Assuming I have found the correct marriage, Annie Bannister married James Sutcliffe Greenwood (Burnley reg.) in 1901. The 1901 and 1911 censuses show Annie and James living in Nelson, and James's birthplace is given as Briercliffe.

Mary Martha's other full siblings were Nancy (born Nelson, 1875), William Henry (born Nelson, 1879) and Walter (born Nelson, 1883). I have discovered that William Henry was killed in action in 1917. I know nothing about any of the others after 1911.

Ruth