Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sarah Alderson Bland
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:11 pm 
Spider Lady

I would like to know if you have any information about a Sarah Alderson Bland and her family. They are buried in Wheatley Lane Inghamite church. They weren't from Briecliffe but I am at a stand still in my family research so at the moment I am trying everything possible to get more information.
Kind regards
Rebecca

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject: Re: Sarah Alderson Bland
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:16 pm 

Do you have any dates for the burials? Or any other information that might help open things up again for you? What exactly are you stuck on?

Ruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:07 pm 

Hi Ruth. I'm new to this so sorry in advance.

Sarah was buried in 1940. I've been told by someone at Burnley library that she has links with a Jonas bland. She was supposed to be uarried when she died but the lady at the library said she may have arrived Jonas in the inghamite church hence why there are no records. If this is true he might have been my grandads father.

My main reason for my research is to find out if I have any family on this side that are still alive. I also would like to know more abouth their medical history. My dad has me and I would like to know if this has appeared somewhere else in the family tree.

There is one more thing. I want to know more about Sarah's sister in law Christiana, she was living with my grandparents and my dad remembers her but she died a few years after he was born in 1959.

Thanks and regards
Rebecca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:26 am 
Spider Lady

I had asked Rebecca for more info....I see you have added more yourself Rebecca but this is what I received....I'm still adding it as I think there is additional info to what you have put in your post. (It is early and I may have misread! :shock: )

Hi Mel,

She died in 1940 and was born in Yorkshire in 1886 don't know if that helps. Her brother John Alderson Bland was in the army in WW1 AND received a medal. This is really where I am at. I did find out that there was a link to a Jonas bland who she may have married in the inghamite church in Fence but there is no record or marriage certificate which I'm told is normal for that church.

I just want to know her, and the rest of the families story. It said in her obit that she worked in finsley gate mill for a lot of years.

hope this helps I'm so stuck.

kind regards
Rebecca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:35 am 

Thanks Mel, yeah I put some info on and signed up to save you time so I wasn't pestering you haha . Thank you for your help

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:37 pm 

I haven't forgotten about your query - just been very busy. I should have a bit more time to have a look for you next week.

Ruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:01 pm 

My online sources can't add to what you know about the later life Sarah Alderson Bland, but I have found some early information about her and her family members that might be of interest if you don't know it already.

Starting with Sarah's sister in law, Christiana Bland.

1911 census: 39 Parkinson Street, Burnley
George Alderson Bland, head, 26, married, flour mill labourer, worker,
b. West Stonesdale, Yorks
Christiana Bland, wife, 30, married under 1 year, no children, cotton weaver,
b. West Stonesdale, Yorks, British

Marriage found on FamilySearch and Lancs BMD
George Alderson Bland to Christiana Metcalfe, 1910, Burnley (by registrar)

(Looked for children, births 1910-25 reg. Burnley on Lancs BMD but didn't find any)

------------

Christiana Bland was nee Metcalfe. She was born West Stonesdale (Swaledale, Yorks) but at the age of 10, in 1891 was already living in Burnley
(together with her parents, four sisters and four brothers). Metcalfe is a very common name in the Swaledale/Wensleydale area. I have Metcalfe ancestors who moved from Wensleydale (where I found a graveyard full of them) to find work in a Lancashire cotton town (in their case, Bury).

1891 census: 28 Sussex Street, Habergham Eaves (Burnley)
Edward Metcalfe, head, m, 50, general labourer, b. Yorkshire, Swaledale
Mary Metcalfe, wife, 42, cotton weaver, b. Swaledale
Margaret Metcalfe, dr, 19, cotton weaver, b. Swaledale
Anne, dr, 17, cotton weaver, b. Swaledale
Elizabeth, dr, 14, cotton weaver, b. Swaledale
John, son, 12, scholar, b. Swaledale
Christiana, dr, 10, scholar, b. Swaledale
George, son, 8, scholar, b. Burnley
Edward, son, 5, b. Burnley
Mary, dr, 3, b. Burnley
William, son, 1, b. Burnley

1901census: 28 Sussex Street, Habergham Eaves (Burnley)
Mary Metcalfe, widow, 52, cotton weaver, b. Westmoreland
Margaret Metcalfe, dr, 29, cotton weaver, b. Yks, Muker [Swaledale]
John Thomas, son, 22, coal miner, b. Muker
Christiana, dr, 20, cotton weaver, b. Muker
George Leonard, son, 18, no occupation given, b. Burnley
Edward, son, 15, railway porter, b. Burnley
Mary, dr, 13, no occupation, presumably scholar, b. Burnley
William, son, 11, no occupation, presumably scholar, b. Burnley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:23 pm 

As far as I can see there is no link between Sarah Alderson Bland and Jonas Bland.

I did find Jonas Bland's marriage (Free BMD) at Burnley in 1907: his wife was Sarah ALICE Bland (nee Hargreaves).

This is confirmed by:

1911 census: 27 Gresham Place, Burnley
Jonas Bland, head, 24, married, mechanical shop labourer, foundry worker, b. Burnley
Sarah Alice Bland, wife, 26 married 3 yrs, 1 child born and living, cotton weaver, b. Burnley
Elizabeth Bland, daughter, 3, b. Burnley

I next checked Lancs BMD and found birth of Elizabeth in 1908, Burnley reg; mother's maiden name was given as Hargreaves.

I then checked for more children of Jonas Bland, in Lancs BMD searching for births for Bland with mother's maiden name Hargreaves: but note 1st 2 were not Burnley but still seem likely: Frederick 1909 (in Lancaster); Harry 1911 (Lancaster); Alfred 1912 (Burnley); James 1914 (Burnley); Nellie 1916 (Burnley); Alice 1919 (Burnley); Bessie 1924 (Burnley) - no more, checked to 1931

So there would appear to be no obvious later link with your Sarah Alderson Bland.

Nor does there seem to be any close earlier link between Jonas's family and your Blands. Jonas was born in Burnley but earlier generations seem to have lived in Mirfield (near Brighouse), Yorks. Your Bland family origins are in Westmoreland and the Dales (see my next post)

1901 census: 63 Mill Lane, Brighouse, Yorks
Elizabeth Bland, head, widow, 58, Mirfield, Yks,
Jonas Bland, grandson, 14, market gardener, worker, b. Lancs, Burnley
+ 4 single male Irish boarders, aged 21-26, three of them landscape gardeners,
the other a stoker in a gas works
(Mirfield is near Brighouse)

I have also found Elizabeth Bland in the 1891 census, living in Burnley:

1891 census: 13 Birtwell Street, St Matthew (Burnley)
John Law, head, single, 57, polisher
Elizabeth Bland, lodger, widow, 48, charwoman (?), b. Mirfield*
Thomas Bland, lodger single, 12, weaver, b. Accrington
+ 4 more lodgers
* Mirfield wrongly described as Lancashire, actually Yorkshire, near Brighouse)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:47 pm 

The suggestion from the Burnley librarian that Sarah Alderson Bland might have been married to Jonas Bland seems surprising to me.

Even if there were no church records for an Inghamite marriage, a marriage in the early 20th century would certainly have been recorded in the civil system - and would have been indexed and be easily researchable on the excellent Lancashire BMD website. (Researching Lancashire ancestors is very much easier than researching ancestors anywhere else in the country that I am aware of.)

Here is information I found about Sarah Alderson Bland - as I said in a previous post, I can't tell you about what happened to her later - only her family origins.

1911 census: 138 Branch Road, Burnley
John Bland, head, 51, married, coal miner (heaver), worker, b. Kirkby Stephen
Mary Ann Bland, wife, 49, married 26 yrs, 4 children born and living, b. Bishop Auckland
Sarah Alderson Bland, daur, 24, single, cotton operative (winder), b. Muker, Yks
John Alderson Bland, son, 21, single, miller's labourer (machine man), b. Muker
Nathan Alderson Bland, son, 13, errand body (gent's outfitter), b. Muker

1901 census: West Stonesdale Village, Muker, Yorkshire
John A. Bland, head, 41, married, coal miner (heaver) , worker,
b. Westmoreland, Kirkby Stephen
Mary Bland, wife, 49, b. Durham, Bishop Auckland
Sarah Bland, daughter, 14, b. Yks, Muker
John Bland, son, 11, b. Yks, Muker
Nathan Bland, son, 3, b. Yks, Muker

1891 census: West Stonesdale Village, Muker, Yorkshire
John A. Bland, head, 31, married, coal miner (heaver), worker,
b. Westmoreland, Kirkby Stephen
Mary A. Bland, wife, 29, b. Durham, Bishop Auckland
George A. Bland, son, 6, b. Yks, Muker
Sarah A. Bland, daughter, 4, b. Yks, Muker
John A. Bland, son, 1, b. Yks, Muker
Nathan Alderson, brother, 20, coal miner, b. Yks, Muker

Note that Nathan Alderson is described as brother to John A. Bland senior (Sarah Alderson Bland's father) in the above 1891 census. I thought at first that he might be brother in law, but when I checked it out, he was actually a half brother of John A. Bland.

This is a bit complicated and I can spell out the proof if you like, but it appears that Sarah's father was the illegitimate child of Sarah Bland, who later married George Alderson:

1861 census: Winton Village, Westmoreland
William Bland, head, widower, 59, shoemaker, b. Durham, Barnard Castle
Sarah Bland, daughter, unmarried, 28, housekeeper, b. Yks, Romaldkirk
John Bland, grandson, 1, b. Westmoreland, Winton
(Romaldkirk is near Barnard Castle; Winton is near Kirkby Stephen)

1871 census, West Stonesdale, Muker, Yorkshire
George Alderson, head, 50, farmer of 12 acres, b. Yks, Muker
Sarah Alderson, wife, 39, b. Yks, Romaldkirk
John Alderson, son, 11, b. Westmoreland, Winton
William Alderson, son, 1, b. Yorks, Muker
Nathan Alderson, son, 6 mo., b. Yorks, Muker

I hope you will find something of interest in all this. I spent an interesting afternoon chasing it up as an alternative to other jobs that I should have been doing! I doubt if I could find anything else of value even if I spent longer on it for you. So I'll sign off now.

Ruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:06 am 

Hi there,

This is a useful website and there are a few Bland's on http://www.burnleyinthegreatwar on the served and survived

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:28 am 
Spider Lady

Have you seen this Rebecca?

Express and News January 20, 1940

Late Mrs. S. A. Bland

Last Monday the funeral took place from her home, 35, Duke-street, Burnley, of Mrs. Sarah Alderson Bland, whose death occurred last Wednesday in her 54th year.
Born in Swaledale, Mrs. Bland had resided in Burnley for the past 33 years, and had been employed for many years at Messrs. Witham's Finsley Mill. She is survived by one son.
Pastor Houlton offered prayers at the home prior to the cortege leaving for the Inghamite Burial Ground, Wheatley Carr, where he also officiated assisted by Mr. H. Whittaker. Floral tributes were sent by: Sorrowing son Wilfrid, brother George and Christiana; Uncle Nathan; Mr. and Mrs. Birtwistle and Alice; Enny; Mr. and Mrs. N. Birtwistle and Bobby; Mr. Metcalfe and daughter; Annie, Mona, Bob and children; a workmate, Lizzie; Mr. and Mrs. Rukin and Mary; Wesley Guild, Brooklands-road; winders and beamers, Witham's Mill, Finsleygate; Lizzie, Ted and children; Mr. and Mrs. Mason; Mrs. Queen, Bertha and Cissy; neighbours; brother and sister, Nathan and Ada; a dear friend, Annie. Arrangements by Burnley Co-op. Soc., Ltd.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:23 am 

Hi Mel and Ruth,

Thank you so much for all your hard work you have helped me so much I am so greateful. I'm really sorry it has taken me so long to reply I feel terrible. I was also having a few problems logging in. all sorted now.

I think the link with Jonas was wrong but I did check some directories and the only possible link I found was that he may have lived on the same street as Sarah.

I hadn't seen the newspaper article that's amazing thank you for that.

Nathan was his half brother I believe I did find an article about him when he died and he was a big figure in the community. I also had a tale that his dad had children then married Sarah and used both their last names when naming their future children.

I couldn't find anything on Christiana only the death in the lan opc and all I knew was she lived with my dad and grandparents before she died. My dad remembered her.

Thanks again for all your help I will have to look on the web link today. I found my Sarah's brother John on the gallantry website with a photo. I wish we had photos of them I'd love to see a photo of Sarah but I don't think any exist.

Thanks again I'm forever in your debt

Rebecca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:26 am 

Hi Rebecca

I enjoyed looking up your people and also seeing the obituary notice posted by Mel and reading your snippets of information, which helped bring some of them to life.

Ruth