Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:57 am 
Spider Lady

The Preston Guardian

Saturday 31 October 1846

On Monday last, at the house of her daughter, Goodham Hill, burnley, aged 78, Margaret, relict of the late Henry Halstead Esq., of Briercliffe.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:13 pm 
Spider Lady

Kindly sent to me (fully transcribed :) )by Graham

Burnley Express

Saturday 2nd January 1937

MILL DIRECTOR’S DEATH
HARLE SYKES MAN WHO HELD WORLD RECORD

One of the most popular manufacturers in Briercliffe died at his home, 20 Granville Street, Harle Syke, yesterday. He was Mr. Whittam Halstead, and was 77. A member of the firm of Thornton and Co., he was for many years salesman for that firm, but retired from active work, owing to failing health, about five years ago. He was interested in several manufacturing concerns, and was on the directorate of the Harle Syke Mill Co. ; Walshaw Mill Co., Harle Syke; Gorple Manufacturing Co. Worsthorne; Fountain Manufacturing Co., Bury and two firms at West Houghton – the Hall Lee Manufacturing Co. and Taylor and Hartley Ltd.
In his younger days he was a keen sportsman, and played with the old Haggate football team. His death recalls an amazing feat for which he held the world’s record, at 20 years of age, and which has never been equalled. With ten hops and a jump he covered a distance of 146 feet 8½ inches.
He was a member of the Haggate Reading Rooms, and for many years was a member of Briercliffe Central Club. He was an old scholar of Haggate Baptist Sunday School.
A wife, two sons and two daughters are left, one son being salesman for Thornton and Co.
The interment will take place next Tuesday (5th January 1937) in Haggate Baptist Churchyard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:15 pm 
Spider Lady

Once again, thanks to Graham.

Burnley Express

Wednesday 6th January 1937

MANUFACTURER’S FUNERAL

The funeral of Mr Witham Halstead of 20 Granville Street, Harle Syke, a prominent local manufacturer, whose death was reported in last Saturday’s “Express” took place yesterday in Haggate Baptist Burial Grounds
Mr W E Thornber conducted the last rites and floral tributes were received from:-
‘Sorrowing wife and children; grandchildren Fanny, John, Willie and Derek;
grand-daughter Marjorie;
grand-daughter Edwina;
great-grand-daughter Florence;
Seth; Jim, Lizzie and Clifford;
Mr and Mrs H Halstead and family;
Abraham, Ethel and Marion;
John and Gladys;
Susannah, Maggie and Tom;
Mr and Mrs A Stuttard;
Mrs Law:
Edith and Annie;
Mrs Howarth;
Mrs Tattersall and Mr Ned Atkinson;
Thomas Taylor;
Mr W Burrows, Mr & Mrs Mayman;
Mr & Mrs B Nutter;
Peter Jackson;
Mr & Mrs A Leaver; all at 19 Granville-Street;
Mr & Mrs Harker;
Family of the late John Atkinson;
Mr & Mrs W Duerden (Burnley);
Mr & Mrs W Mason;
Mr & Mrs Tom Bannister;
Doris;
Mr & Mrs H Ashworth;
Mr & Mrs J Simpson and Gladys;
Mr & Mrs Tom Lees;
Ronald, Laura and Margaret;
Mrs H Duerden and family;
Mr & Mrs Wilfred Smith,
Jim and Edna;
the work people of James Thornton and Co.;
the partners of James Thornton and Co.;
the directors of Harle Syke Mill Co.;
directors of Walshaw Mill Co.;
directors of Bancroft, Hollins and Co., Manchester;
directors of Taylor and Hartley Ltd Westhoughton;
directors of Gorple Mill Co. Worsthorne;
directors of West Grove Manufacturing Co. Ltd. Westhoughton;
directors of Adlington Manufacturing Co. Ltd Adlington;
directors of Hall Lee Manufacturing Co. Ltd, Westhoughton;
directors of Fountain Manufacturing Co. Ltd, Bury;
directors of Robert Emmott Ltd, Stanley and Ferndale Mills, Burnley.
The arrangements were carried out by Messrs John Atkinson Ltd Harle Syke.

http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Pho ... lstead.htm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:50 pm 
Spider Lady

Mel wrote:
The Preston Guardian

August 31 1850

Death From Fighting

On MOnday last, about 11 o'clock, a fight took place between some men from Worsthorne, near Burnley, and from Lane Bridge. Wm. Halstead, of Worsthorne, and Thomas Turner, of Lane Bridge, were engaged in fighting, when a bystander, named James Whittaker, a blacksmith, of Lane Bridge, kicked Halstead in the throat. When the fight was over, Halstead and his party went home. He was seen walking about on the following day, but on Wednesday he got worse, and died at 12 o'clock on Wednesday night. Information reached the police-office on Thursday morning, when Serjeant Parker proceeded to Lane Bridge, and took Whittaker into custody. He gave him the names of the others, who were all taken to the lock-up, where they will remain till the inquest. Their names are Jas. Whittaker, Thomas Turner, Thomas Booth, Samuel Stanworth, Chas. Baldwin, and Joseph Burrows.

Preston Guardian

Saturday 7 September 1850

Manslaughter - The Inquest

In our last we gave a short account of the cause of death of William Halstead, stonemason, of Worsthorne. We now furnish a report of the inquest, which was held at the Bay Horse Inn, Worsthorne, on Saturday last, before J. Hargreaves Esq., and a jury of sixteen persons. -
William Shackleton sworn, said: I live in Worsthorne. Was in Burnley on Monday night last, when this occurrence took place. I met some parties in the Red Lion Tap, but cannot say that the prisoners were there. I met the deceased in Burnley. We went to the tap. We were both sober. I found several persons there whom we knew, from Worsthorne. I cannot recollect whether any of the persons now present charged with the offence were there. When we got into the tap-room we ordered a quart of ale; but befre it was brought in, a man came to the door and beckoned of the deceased to go out. I did not know the person who called the deceased out. The deceased went out to him. Seeing that the deceased did not return, I went out immediately afterwards, and saw the deceased, with twelve young men about him. I heard some one say, "Go into him." I then went back to the tap, and called my friends out. When I got back again, I found the deceased and another man on the ground. The deceased was uppermost, and the man who was under was trying to get up, but could not, because deceased was on top of him. I saw no blows given whilst they were on the ground. The deceased kept the other man down perhaps half a minute. Then five or six of the men rushed in, and turned round upon us and struck us. One of them punched me. At this period a policeman came up, and I went into the tap-room. I did not see the parties who were down rise up again. In about five minutes after the deceased, with others of my companions, came into the room. He complained of his neck and breast. We then drank the ale and went home. As we went along he said he could not swallow his spittle. I did not see him again. I don't know the man who was down with him on the gound. -Br Mr. Baldwin, (who appeared for Whittake, Booth and, Turner): The place where the fight happened was so dark that I could not tell friends from foes. I did not hear the man who was down cry "Murder! he is throttling me." - P.C. Walmsley sworn, said: On Monday last I was on duty in Burnley. About half-past eleven o'clock I was opposite the Red Lion Inn, and heard a great noise near the tap-room. I went up, and found about twenty people in the opening between the road and the tap-room door. On the left hand side of the door I saw a man who was apparently rising from the ground. I was walking towards the man who was getting up, when the prisoner James Whittaker ran across me. I knew him. He kicked the man who was getting up off the ground. I strove to prevent him, but could not. The man being in a stooping posture, I think the blow would take effect somewhere near the head; but I could not distinctly perceive it. As soon as Whittaker punched the man he ran round me. I ran after him, and thus lost sight of the man who was struck. I came up to Whittaker, and told him to go home, which he did. I then went to the others and told them to disperse, when they did so. I did not again see the man who was punched, neither did I know him. I did not see any fighting. The man was rising from the ground at the time he was struck. I did not take any of the parties into custody. - To Mr. Baldwin: I heard no cry of "Murder," nor shouting for the police. I would swear he hit him somewhere near the head.
---Police-sergeant Parker said: I live in Burnley. I was ordered, on Thursday last, by Superintendent McCabe, to apprehend Whittaker. He lives in Manchester-road, and is a blacksmith. I went and told him he was charged with causing the death of William Halstead, of Worsthorne. He said he had heard of Halstead's death. He then went to put on his shoes and stockings, and whilst going across the room he said, "I reckon a blow on the "throttle" has done it." He then sat down to put on his shoes, and said, "I shall not get more than two years this time." I understood he meant imprisonment for what he had done. He then said, "You will want more than me." He mentioned one or two names on the road, and the rest in the station-house. I then apprehended the others. -To Mr. Baldwin: His mother, and a young woman, and George Lewis (a policeman) were in the room. I am not aware that I said "you have got into a mess this time," I think I said the case was a case of murder. He has been in the lock-up since he was taken. I have not tried to elicit anything from him during his confinement. -William Halstead, examined, said: I was a weaver, but am now given to surgery. The deceased was a cousin of mine. He was twenty-eight years of age. He was a mason, unmarried, and lived with his father, in Worsthorne. On Tuesday last he came to my house, and said he was unwell; that he had a very great pain in the throat. I said, "What's to do? Have you been fighting?" He said, "Not much fighting. I was fighting one, and another came and gave me a blow on the neck; and then another struck me on the breast. Both struck with their fists." I looked at his neck, but did not see any discolouration; but there was a prominence and swelling. I recommended flannel and warm water. He then left me, and returned again in about three hours. I examined the part, and found that it was not improved. I then bled him on the right arm, and gave him some opening medicine. I called upon him in about an hour and a half after, and found him better. I next called on Wednesday morning, when he said he was better. At noon I saw him again, and advised some leeches - four to the breast and six to the throat. When the leeches were taken off he said he was better. I did not see him again alive. He said he did not know the persons who struck him. I have been above twenty years in the habit of attending persons. I attend for almost any disease. I picked up my knowledge from books. When I think there is danger I recommend calling in a regular practitioner. In this case I thought there was some danger. I did not tell the deceased so. -The Coroner highly censured Halstead for the manner in which he had acted, in not having called in a medical man when he thought there was danger. -To Mr. Baldwin: Could not say that the tumours on the neck were caused by a blow of any kind. -Mary Halstead proved the time of the deceased's death. - Sergt. Parker re-examined: I apprehended Turner the same morning. Told him he was charged with fighting with Wm. Halstead, of Worsthorne, and causing his death. He said he was there, that he was struck by Halstead, and that they did fight, but that he did not strike Halstead: that he (Halstead) was too strong for him and got him down. The others admitted that they were there, and that there was a regular row. -Dr. Coultall, jun., of Burnley, said: On yesterday afternoon I examined and opened the body. There were no external marks of injury except a slight lividity in the front of the right side of the throat. On re-removing the skin from the throat, a considerable quantity of extravacated blood appeared, and on dissecting down still deeper behind the upper part of the windpipe, was a large clot of blood, about the size of a hen's egg, which pushed the windpipe forward, and compressed the calibre of the windpipe to a little more than half its natural dimensions. On opening the windpipe and larynx, the mucous membrane lining the larynx was inflamed, and the sides of the glottis were puffed and swollen. On following the windpipe downwards, a quantity of blood was extravasted betwixt the mucous lining of the windpipe and its cartliages. This was more particulalry observable on the right side, and extended from the larynx nearly to the bifurcation of the treched. The whole of the mucous membrane of the treched was intensely inflamed. This inflamation extended into the division of the treched, but dimished as it was traced farther into the lungs. My opinion is, that the death of the deceased was caused partly by mechanical compression of the windpipe, by the large clot of blood already described, and partly by the inflammation which existed in the larynx and treched. The compression of the windpipe would operate in the way of suffocation, and the inflammation might produce spasm of the glottis. Either of these might have produced death, but in this instance there would be the united action of the two. The extravasation and the inflammation would be produced by a blow from the hand or the foot, or any weapon. Judging from the appearances in this case, I should say that they proceed from extreme violence - both the outward and inward marks. There was a slight layer of coagualted blood on the surface of the inner margin of the right lung, in front; and this may have accounted for the pain the deceased complained of in the breast; but, in my opinion, did not contribute to cause the death of the deceased. -Stanworth, Booth, Baldwin and Burrows were then discharged, and gave evidence as to how the row or fight originated. -The Coroner carefully summed up the evidence, and the jury, after a short adjournment, found a verdict of acquittal for Turner, and found James Whittaker guilty of manslaughter. -The Coroner feelingly pointed out to these young men the evil of keeping late hours and bad company, and trusted that thorugh life they would not be guilty of such conduct again.

Post subject: Re: Halstead MI's
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:32 am 
Spider Lady

THe Lancaster Gazette and General Advertiser
Saturday March 31 1804

Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries

Died

On the 5th inst. Mr Henry Halstead, of Windle-house, in Briercliffe, near Burnley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:58 pm 
Willfinder General

Mel wrote:
Haggate and Hill Lane Baptist Church

Section C Grave 288
Headstone
In Loving Memory of
Ann
The beloved wife of
James HALSTEAD
Died Aug 7th 1929
Aged 65 years
Also the above named
James HALSTEAD
Died April 23rd 1946
Aged 82 years
Also of Lizzie their daughter
Died Aug 21st 1961 aged 66 years
Also of Mary Ellen
Daughter of the above
Died Aug 14th 1893
Aged 3 years
At Rest
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Grave%20Stones/Haggate%20Chapel/Halstead/Halstead8.htm

If love and care could death prevent
My days would not so soon be spent,
Life was desired, but God did see,
Eternal life was best for me.

Now parents dear, adieu, adieu,
My time on earth was short with you,
But God was good and He thought best
To take your darling girl to rest.

In affectionate Remembrance of MARY ELLEN, the beloved daughter of James and Ann Halstead, of Brightville, Harle Syke, who departed this life August 14th, 1893, aged 3 years and 3 months, and was interred at Haggate Baptist Chapel, Aug. 17th.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:51 am 
Spider Lady

Where is that from Kris?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:56 am 
Spider Lady

Burnley Gazette

Saturday 20 February 1869

Death of W. Halstead, Esq.

We regret to have to record the sudden and unexpected demise of our esteemed fellow-townsman William Halstead, Esq., who died at his residence, North Parade, on Sunday last, the 14th inst. Mr. Halstead was in every respect a self made man, one who had risen from the lowest ranks of labour to wealth and social position, by dint of determined effort and steady perseverance. He was born in 1809, at Haggate, and was brought up to the occupation of handloom weaving. His parents were handloom weavers, indeed nearly everybody at that time, in these outlying districts, were handloom weavers. Mr. Halstead, however, was one of an exceptional kind, steady, hard-headed, with one great object ever before him - "to get on in the world," and, to this end, it may be truly said, that "whatever his hand found to do, he did it with all his might." He began a grocery establishment at Haggate, which became in time the most extensive in the township of Briercliffe. In addition to this he had a room at Cop Row, filled with handlooms called, in the local dialect, a dandy shop. In 1847 he removed to Burnley, and occupied the bottom room in Messrs. Thompson and Moore's mill, Trafalgar street, where he carried on a very extensive business in delaines, being one of the first manufacturers of these pieces, from which in a few years he realised very large profits. In 1854 he built the Fulledge Mill, and about this time an accident happened from the effects of which he never wholly recovered. By the upsetting of the stage coach between Todmorden and Burnley he had his leg fearfully shattered, and for the damage thus sustained he claimed and got considerable damages from the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company. A very common idea prevailed at one time that this was the starting point of his commercial prosperity. We believe the idea is a totally mistaken one, and that the very reverse of this is the fact, as there is no doubt the consequences of this disaster were a continual drag both upon his mental and physical energy, and that he not only suffered severely and almost constantly from the effects of the misfortune, but that his life in all human probability was shortened in consequence of it. Mr. Halstead in all his commercial speculations was ecxeptionally fortunate and never, perhaps, more so than when he retired from business at the commencement of the American war. Mr. Halstead has during the latter period of his life occupied offices of honour and usefulness in the town, having been a town councillor and a poor law guardian, and in both positions has won universal respect and esteem. For several years back he has been in the habit of giving the scavengers and other old people a Christmas treat, and, we believe, that his private benevolence has been of a very extensive character. During his residence in Burnley the deceased attended Yorkshire-street Baptist Chapel, and has been one of its principal supporters. There was another very pleasing trait in his character. He was a man who made "troops of friends" wherever he went, and, being fond of travel and of an eminently genial disposition - what Dr. Johnson would have called "a clubable man" - we have no doubt that the annonncement of his death will be received by many distant acquaintances and old travelling companions with little less regret than it has caused in the locality of his birth. Mr. Halstead at the time of his demise had just completed his sixtieth year. The remains of the deceased were interred in the family vault at the Cemetery yesterday morning the 18th instant. The funeral was a private one.
Requiescat in Pace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:08 pm 
Spider Lady

Burnley Express
Saturday 05 January 1901
Deaths
Dec. 30. -Halstead Halstead, Briercliffe, 76 years

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:10 am 
Spider Lady

Burnley Gazette
Saturday 22 August 1874
Deaths
On the 17th inst., aged 34 years, Ellen Halstead, Haggate

Burnley Express
Saturday 05 January 1901
Deaths
Dec 30. -Halstead Halstead, Briercliffe, 76 years

Burnley Express
Saturday 06 July 1878
Deaths
HALSTEAD. -On the 2nd July, Betty Halstead, Haggate, aged 53

Burnley Express
Saturday 09 April 1881
Deaths
HALSTEAD. -On the 1st inst., John Halstead, Haggate, aged 19 years

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:45 am 
Spider Lady

Express and Advertiser

September 14, 1932

Late Mr. J. R. Halstead.

The funeral of the late Mr. John Robert Halstead, whose death was reported in last Saturday's "Express," took place in Haggate Baptist burial ground last Saturday. The services were conducted by Mr. James Halstead, senr. Floral tributes were sent by:- His sorrowing wife; James, Esther and Jack; Lizzie and Willie; Edmund and DOris; Amy, Tom and Kathleen; Mr. Haworth and family; Mr. and Mrs. Mason (The Mount); all at Springfield; Mr. and Mrs. Bather and family; Thornton's family; Mr. and Mrs. Nuttall; Leslie and Kathleen; Dan; Ted, Sarah Ellen and Dorothy; Rhoda and Harry; directors of James Thornton and Co.; Haggate Baptist S.S. Cricket Club; Mr. Hogan and family, and Mrs. Bastian and Ella; George Metcalfe and Hetty; Mr. and Mrs. Laycock ("Hill Crest," Burnley); Mr. and Mrs. W. Thornber; D. Halstead and family; Bernard; Ethel, Ernest and children; Mr. and Mrs. C. Thornton; Mr. and Mrs Holroyd; Mr. and Mrs. Nutter, Doris and Willie (Cotton Tree); tom Teale; Mr. and Mrs. W. Heys; Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Whittaker and family; Nanny, David and little Mary; cousin Lily and Albert; cousin James Halstead and Annie; Mr. and Mrs. A. Barker; George and Gwennie; Alice and Harry; the manager and warehousemen, King's Mill. The arrangements were carried out by Messrs. John Atkinson, Ltd., Harle Syke.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:11 am 

bob james wrote:
:D

thanks mel -

another excellent job - it will take me some time to sort through this list of Halsteads - I'm sure I'll find some rellies.

btw - did I mention before that my father's aunt Vera Stanbridge nee Halstead - past away recently aged 88 years - sad thing was that she had dementia for a few years before and had been in a nursing home -

I know that Vera used to return to England every now and then to visits relatives

nobody that I've spiken to yet knows these relatives - ahh -- and what is worse? Vera's address book has disappeared - probably lost when she was first admitted to the nursing home - so just maybe we've lost a wonderful resource of family connections?

10 years too late but I have discovered that Vera Stanbridge nee Halstead was also my mother’s aunt. My mother was born a Halstead but estranged from her parents so I knew nothing of any relatives until I started searching.

Edit: Thanks Bob for searching me out.
I almost didn’t write anything, but I’m glad I took faith in the fact that genealogy is a slow ongoing process and that 10 years late isn’t too late at all. Thanks to The Briercliffe society for creating such an amazing resource.
I hope we can confirm our 2nd cousin relationship and share information and sort out all the Halsteads.