Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Icecream??
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:05 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

Being a city slicker and hailing from Manchester, my memories of Ice Cream (aside from the ubiquitous Walls) was Granelli's. I remember the van winding its way through the streets with the music getting louder and louder...and if I hadn't been good enough, also getting quieter and quieter...a bit like the Doppler effect! I loved running out with some money clutched in my hand and getting my cornet...always vanilla (was and is my favourite).
I remember when I got big enough to travel on the Ribble bus myself to Burnley from home to spend school hols with my grandparents in Harle Syke....the Cattle Market was where my grandfather met me and we caught the bus to the Harle Syke. I always felt so grown-up on the Ribble upper deck, smoking my Woodbines at age 14! :roll: Ye gods! I would kill my descendents if I ever saw them do that!! :cry: :x .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:09 pm 
Computer Whizz

:lol: loved that tale of the Ribble Bus---got that t-shirt and the video :wink:

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:07 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

I'm a Manc too but I'll show my age now. I do remember Granelli's but our favourite ice cream man was Albert. He had a horse-drawn van which he drove from inside the van. He didn't have a tune like they do now, he just had a bell that he rang when e stopped. And you could have raspberry vinegar (definitely not syrup) on your cornet. Happy days

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:00 pm 

portia wrote:
I'm a Manc too but I'll show my age now. I do remember Granelli's but our favourite ice cream man was Albert. He had a horse-drawn van which he drove from inside the van. He didn't have a tune like they do now, he just had a bell that he rang when e stopped. And you could have raspberry vinegar (definitely not syrup) on your cornet. Happy days

I may be way out here but in the 1950's- 1960's, in the village were I still live there was an ice cream man well known in the village, people would come from miles around to sample his wares, (the name?) Albert Birtwell, as a youngster I used to help him get his ice cream horses harnessed up;Dolly, Jewel, Daisy and a.n. other.

Could this be the Albert that you are referring to? Middle Hillhouse Farm where the delicious concoctions were made is only 3/400 yards up the road from where I live.

If it is the same chap, he would always ask the youngsters if they wanted blood on their cornets, referring of course to the Raspberry/Strawberry vinegar.

Stay happy as always, Yours Taddy