Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Folds of Daneshouse
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:14 pm 

Hi, I have been browsing your site for a couple of weeks and thought it was about time to be brave and introduce myself and state my surname interests. My name is Dawn, maiden name Folds. I am researching the Folds of Danes House and trying to tie in the other Folds/Foulds from surrounding areas. I am led to believe one of the Folds from Danes House moved to Trawden and started spelling their name with a “U” in the middle, but I have no idea whom. I wonder if there was a rift in the family leading them to spell the name differently? If anyone can help me, I would be very grateful. I have never been to Burnley or even Lancashire, so I don’t really have any idea of distances that places would have been apart in the older days. It’s easy now to find out a distance, but not knowing the lye of the land in Burnley and surrounding areas poses a bit of a problem. I am unable to travel to Lancashire due to health issues, so I am relying solely on the internet. Does anyone have any links to Danes House?

Dawn x

Post subject: Re: Folds of Daneshouse
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:33 am 
Spider Lady

Hi Dawn, welcome to the site, it is a quiet forum so any replies may be (very) slow to appear but one or two still pop their heads in from time to time.

I think, though can't be sure, that the changes in surname spellings can be down to people being illiterate. Often, they signed with a cross and wouldn't know if a clergyman or enumerator had given the correct spelling or not. The clergyman/enumerator would possibly spell a name the way they thought it should be.

You say you have not been to Lancashire - that's a shame. It is such a beautiful place, I don't go anywhere near as often as I would like. Where in the world are you?

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:02 pm 
Computer Whizz

Hi Dawn, I have some Foulds in my tree, you can find them on the home page. Let me know if any are connected to you.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:25 pm 

Nothing familiar to me Gloria, so frustrating. I shall keep hunting. Is there anything in particular that you are looking for in the Folds? Also does anyone know what road or place is now exactly where Daneshouse was please?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:49 pm 
Computer Whizz

I've found this on www.pastscape.org.uk

Danes House (sometimes referred to as Dancer House) was the home of the Folds family, a family which was prominent in the history of Burnley up to the end of the 19th century. It is believed that Danes House was built in the year 1500 and Baines "History of Lancashire" refers to a William Folds who lived there in 1552. The house was located roughly at the top of Brougham Street on the north side of the town. It was a two storeyed building constructed from gritstone, shaped like a letter "F". In 1886 the local authority decided that the house did not meet "modern" standards and consequently it was demolished, being replaced by a factory. The Folds family occupied the house until the time it was demolished.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:03 pm 
Computer Whizz

There's quite a bit about Danes House in W. Bennetts The History of Burnley along with this picture.[attachment=0]image.jpeg[/attachment]

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 280.57 KiB | Viewed 20974 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:11 pm 

Oh Wow :shock: Thank you. Is Brougham Street still there now Gloria? Is Folds house anything to do with the Folds, I am told there are a few place the Folds lived, but not knowing the area, i don't know which ones are linked to the Dane House Folds, they probably all were at some point related, but just divided.
Thanks again for the picture x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:14 pm 

Just found Brougham Street, sorry which end is the top end lol :lol: x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:22 pm 
Computer Whizz

I've looked on Google Earth and Brougham St runs into Daneshouse Rd.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:25 pm 

Dawn, Along with Gloria and sometimes Mel, I visit another local web site
https://www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/mem ... ofile&u=73
which is very strong in local BMD's. Wendy Faulkner does a lot of research at the Colne Library, and no doubt would be keen to help.
Membership is free but well worth the odd subscription bob or two. Give it a try, nothing to lose.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:15 pm 

Thank you both very much. I had forgotten about the oneguyfrombarlick site. I contacted them a good few years ago and couldn't remember the name of it, and now I do, i shall check it out after the weekend. :D
So Gloria, i checked out Bougham Road/Danehouse Road and is it Daneshouse Rd that the house was actually situated on back in the day? I also noticed a Folds Road as well, i assume that relevant to the Daneshouse household.
Thanks again for your help x

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:32 pm 

Its a while since I walked down Dane House Rd. A lot of the area is being demolished but this plaque can be seen just over the railway bridge near Brouham St.
Attachment:
P3300017B.jpg
P3300017B.jpg [ 11.03 KiB | Viewed 20946 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:44 pm 

Thank You Plaques.I shall put that in my album :D Is that a new road or was it an original road? it has the date of 1886, so i was wondering if it was already there or if it was like a memory date of when the house was demolished.
Dawn x

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:05 pm 

Dawn, This is the original terrace plaque on houses which are still standing. The plaque is placed at about No 42 on the terrace row between the railway bridge and the canal bridge. Most of the area was built around this period. There are two more terrace plaques just below the railway bridge on Brougham St. 'Cromwell 1887' & 'Hampton 1888'. The Hanover Chapel 1898 which is nearby on the parallel Hall St.
And Old Hall Mill 1902. From what I can see from the old maps the old Danes House (as in the photo above) would be under the foundations of this Danes House Terrace 1886 row of houses. But I'm not an historian just a nerd that collects images of carved lumps of stone.
Ps, I can post the Brougham st plaques if you would like them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:22 am 

Thanks Plaques for the info :D x