Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tombstone questions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:05 am 

Whenever another person's details have to be engraved on an existing tombstone, I believe the monumental masons come along and dig up the headstone, cart it off to their workshop, engrave it and then replant the stone.
But what about the huge statues, Egypian type needles etc.? Do they still do this, or do they have a portable piece of equipment to engrave in situ?
I always wondered.

And whilst on the subject of gravestones.
What type of stone was used for the old grey gravestones in Haggate Cemetery, and why are the more modern ones of polished black marble? Why the changeover?
Personally, I prefer the old ones.

And finally, regarding aboveground rectangular tombs (none at Haggate), is the coffin within the aboveground cavity, or is it empty and the coffin below ground?
I hope you don't think I'm morbid. Just curious.
Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:31 am 
Spider Lady

Not morbid Rob...curious!

I'm not sure about the changeover of stone type but agree that the majoriity of the older ones are better. The odd one or two seem to corrode but on the whole, they last longer.

You don't see so many monuments present day. I would imagine, as you say, that they have a portable tool. Of course, years ago, I suppose they would have used a chisel type instrument.

As for the tombs. I think they are just for dress. I am sure there is a requirement that the burial is a certain number of metres/feet below ground. When you consider the vandalism that is suffered these days, the body has to be buried or it would be revealed when the side panels are kicked in. (I have seen this on a tomb in Staffordshire).

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:51 am 
Photographer

A couple of interesting links on the subject am sure there are loads more on T'Internet.
http://www.ukgraves.info/view.asp?id=0

http://www.hertsfhs.org.uk/hfphs34.html