Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:05 am 
Willfinder General

Hi, I found a Leaver family tree at Burnley Library (Just an ordinary Briercliffe family) and on page 73 it says the following.

“By 1841 Abraham and Betty Leaver had moved with their family back to Extwistle Hall, where Abraham is described as a weaver. Also living at Extwistle Hall were Abraham’s brothers John and James, each with their families. The ancient Hall was home in 1841 to 27 members of the Leaver family. When the Marsden “Friends” Relief Committee visited Extwistle Hall in 1843 Abraham and Betty Leaver and their five children had three beds between them. They each had a pair of clogs. Betty Leaver had enough fustian to make her son Peter a jacket, but was unable to get it made up. Abraham was receiving payment from the Dole.”

Who were the Marsden Friends Relief Committee, and where can I find this report and others like it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:11 pm 
Photographer

There is a Burnley Relief Committe mentioned in these additions to Lancashire Records Office.Page 26 of 28
I suspect that the Friends Relief Committee was some form of what is now termed social benefits,but in those days maybe funded by voluntary contributions and run by volunteers?????

http://www.lancscc.gov.uk/education/rec ... f/2002.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:57 pm 
Computer Whizz

Kris, there is something about it in Roger's book re their visits to Cop Row. Rex Watson who is a member of this site kindly sent me the details of that row a while back. He could be worth contacting to see if he has any info on their visit to Extwistle. They were people in dire straits with little clothing, bedding , footwear etc.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:02 pm 
Photographer

Ha yes Gloria well spotted.page 168/9 in Roger's book :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:02 pm 
Willfinder General

Thanks white bear.

You look different than I imagined by the way. In my mind, for some odd reason, you had an auburn bob hairdo, you always wear this green jumper as well….hmmm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:22 pm 
Spider Lady

A better variation than what I expected when I first met Gloria, Kris.
The only Gloria I knew of previously was in 'Ain't half hot mum'! I couldn't get that picture out of my head until I met her last year.

I am disappointed that you didn't take any aeros to the meeting Kris. I thought that would be one of the perks of that particular job.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:30 pm 
Willfinder General

'Ain't half hot mum', who is spreading rumours?

Mel, I brought myself, I thought that was enough!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:44 pm 
Computer Whizz

When Mel first met me I had lost my voice, must have been a shock to her the next time we met. AND, usually I don't wear my green sweater,but a black cloak and leave it outside with my broomstick and pointy hat :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:56 pm 
Spider Lady

Kris - there is always room for chocolate.

Gloria - I did introduce you to Kris as the wicked witch! I don't know if you noticed but he did say "you must be Gloria"!!! :twisted:

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:14 pm 
Computer Whizz

I did notice :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:03 pm 

Here are the full details of entry no 135 in the booklet for Abraham LEAVER, at 'Extwhistle hall'. He is on 'Dole', not meaning unemployed, but that having no 'private' work he was employed by the township, probably on road work. For this he received 12/- a week (there was a scale according to family size). Ages of the household members were 42,34,14,13,11,9,7, and indeed they had 3 beds. The 'needs' comment is 'has fustian to make into a jacket for 11 (year-old) but cant get it made up - 14 clogs (meaning that the 14 year-old needs clogs).

Two other families with the same address :

No 136 William WHITEHEAD, a delver (quarryman), 5 in family, no further detail.

No 137 Sarah HOWE, a weaver working for J. HALSTEAD, 4 in family. Ages 26 (earning 2/- a week), 9,8,4 and a half. 'A widow 22 weeks, her father assists her'.

The others at the Hall were presumably not needy.

The document is one of a whole series kept by Ann Ecroyd, a leading Quaker, and in the Farrer collection at Manchester Local Studies Library (if that is the name these days !). Another notebook gives some detail of actual disbursements made.

I obtained a copy of the document above some years ago, initially for family history, and have done look-ups from time to time, for instance it has been 'advertised' by the Lancs FHS. I'm happy to continue to do that, but it can take a little time : the document covers Cop Row, Briercliffe+Extwistle, and Great Marsden. Only needy families were covered, but that was I think about two thirds of the population at this dire time (Feb 1843).

For background see Roger Frost's book. Also in 1995 I had an article published in the journal Local Population Studies (Autumn issue), an analysis of its economic information basically [If that all sounds grand, let me emphasise I'm a mathematician not a historian or ecenomist ! Contributors to LPS are mainly enthusiastic amateurs with interests in aspects of local history]. If you read the article, beware of one major editorial error, and one minor !

I did have discussion by post/e-mail a bit back with Roger Frost and John Bentley about maybe getting the document published, with some supporting background material, possible as as Society Project, and I think they were quite keen.

Rex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:17 pm 
Willfinder General

Thank you Rex, that was very informative. Now I know the other two Leaver families seen in the 1841 census had moved from Extwistle Hall by 1843 (John and James, brothers of Abraham).

It would be nice if we could have this document transcribed and added to the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:27 pm 

Glad it was useful.

Remember that absence from the document doesn't imply absence from the place, in that the others might not have been needy.

Rex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:33 pm 
Willfinder General

Very true, thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:37 pm 

Me again.

Glancing through the transcript, there is James LEAVER and family at Holt Hill. Wife and 9 children, James 45, wife 43. Also a child died two weeks ago. Is this yours ? I'll post full detail if you like (later, have to go and earn a few pennies now ; yes I know its Saturday, but I have to keep my wife and 9 children in the style to which...... ; only joking)

Rex