Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Tin Tab
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:24 pm 
Spider Lady

Taken from "A Lancashire Township. The History of Briercliffe-with-Extwistle". Roger Frost

The present chapel, which stands opposite the Commercial, is a timber building. It has been altered but is substantially the same temporary structure which was put up in 1903! At one time it was clad in corrugated sheets and this gave the building its popular name of the “Tin Tabernacle”, or “Tin Tab” (for short). It was used for meetings of the Briercliffe Branch of the Rechabites and I recall it as the “clinic”.
To this day I can still remember the noise that could be produced on the wooden floor by little feet running up and down and I associate the building with rosehip syrup and a delicious sticky concoction called “Virol”. There were also ladies there making cups of tea and Mum always gave us a biscuit, or at least she did until one day when my brother, Stephen, and I had a public disagreement as to who should have the larger part of that week’s offering!
It is pleasant to record that Harle Syke Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is the inheritor of a Methodist tradition which can be traced to John Wesley himself.

Note: The Chapel was originally called Harle Syke Wesleyan Methodists, but the reference to Wesley has been dropped.

Photo http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Photo%20Archive/Briercliffe%20Religious%20Buildings/The%20Tin%20Tab2.htm

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Last edited by Mel on Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Tin Tab
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:14 pm 
My sister played the piano at the Tin Tab. We used to sing "Hear the pennies dropping" as the collection was taken. Every year we had a jacobs join and at Christmas my grand-dad was Father Christmas. I remember being awarded a book by Enid Blyton for good attendance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:56 pm 
Spider Lady

When was this Pollyanna?
Do you remember the words to "Hear the Pennies Dropping"?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:32 am 
Early 1960's Mel. I'll try and remember all the words to Hear the pennies dropping and get back to you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:13 pm 
Hi Mel

This is what I remember of the hymn.

Hear the pennies dropping
Listen as they fall
Every-one for Jesus
He shall have them all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:37 pm 
Spider Lady

Thanks Pollyanna.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:03 pm 

I remember going to the Tin Tab in the late 1940s, I think on a Thursday night, to watch Silent Movies, these films for us kids were a real treat, the room was always full and it was very noisey. I think it was organised by the Rechabites because we always got lectured about the demon drink.

Behind the TinTab there was a wooden hut which was a cloggers shop. I can't remember the cloggers name, but he made and repaired clogs for lots of Harle Syke mill workers. I remember sitting and watching him remove and replace the irons on my clogs. I wore clogs until I was 12.
Can any one else remember this clogger?

Post subject: Re: The Tin Tab
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:29 pm 

Rechabites. I had forgotten all about them. I think they did something with Insurance. I remember it was all about demon brink etc.

Post subject: Re: The Tin Tab
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:48 pm 
Spider Lady

Burnley Express

Saturday 02 April 1904

Opening Of A Chapel At Harle Syke

Yesterday witnessed the opening of a new Wesleyan Chapel at Harle Syke, Briercliffe, an event which many who espouse John Wesley's faith were interested. Of late years a number of Wesleyans have become settled in the district, and about a year ago, through these having become augmented by others, their thoughts became collectively turned in the direction of establishing a place of worship after their own heart in their immediate locality, for up to then some had travelled into Burnley Sunday after Sunday, whilst others, not disposed to undertake so long a journey, found temporary spiritual homes at neighbouring chapels of other denominations. These people who had a longing for a "Little Bethel" of their own, appear to have been led by a young man named Chas. Fellows, who, pending the time when they should be able to axquire better and more suitable premises, volunteered the loan of his house for the purpose of public worship. This was about a year ago. The offer od Mr. Fellows, who was formerly a scholar at the Colne-road Wesleyan Sunday School, was at once accepted. The first service which was held under what were most incommodating circumstances, was attended by 38 persons, and at the second one, which took place the same day, the number was further increased. A corner served for a rostrum, and a sewing-machine covered with a spotlessly white cover, was for the nonce turned into a readin desk. The cause prospered, land was purchased, and upon this has been placed a corrugated-iron chapel, the total cost of land and building, together with the fittings and furnishings, having been about £700. The structure has been erected by a Camberwell firm in about a month's time, somewhat quick for even a building of that character. It will seat some 220 persons. Besides the assembly hall, there are two vestries, which, by means of folding doors, can be made to supply additional accommodation for service purposes. The corrugated-iron has an interior coating of stained wood, and altogether the chapel has a comfortable and prepossessing appearance. The Colne-road Sunday School have presented their friends at the new chapel with a good American organ, and gifts also have been received from other quarters. As to funds, it was reported at a recent meeting that the sum of £200 had been promised by various supporters of the cause, and of this amount £178 has been paid in. The children who constitute the nucleus of the Sunday school, have busied themselves in the matter, and have collected about £15. In the course of a brief ceremony yesterday afternoon, the new chapel was opened by Mr. J. Howorth, J.P., who has done much for local Wesleyan Methodism. A souvenir of the occasion, in the shape of a silver key, was presented to Mr. Howorth. Afterwards the inaugural sermon was preached by the Rev. C. J. Bach, Blackburn. The ministers of the Fulledge Circuit, in which the chapel will be embraced, attended, as also did many prominent laymen from Burnley, Wheatley Lane, and other surrounding places. After the service tea was provided in the Hill Lane Institute, and at six o'clock Mr. Bach delivered another sermon.