Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:19 pm 
Tour Guide

Whalley chapel trashing is new low for bad behaviour
10:32am Thursday 10th July 2008
Lancashire News
VANDALISM is sadly a feature of everyday life in this country.

Councils and police fight a running battle to try to minimise the acts of mindless yobs but we are used to seeing signs, buildings and all kinds of outdoor features defaced.

But what has happened close to the outwardly peaceful village of Whalley sets a new low for outrageous behaviour.

It’s impossible to begin to work out what these, presumably local, youths were thinking of as they set about systematically destroying the interior of the chapel in Ribble Valley Remembrance Park.

Or how upsetting their demolition derby will be to relatives of the 995 former Calderstones Hospital patients for whom the cemetery is a final resting place.

Even the stone memorial to the dead has been smashed to pieces and the book of remembrance tossed into the long grass.

It seems likely that some responsible people in a community like Whalley must have a fair idea who might have carried out this desecration.

The sooner their names are given to police and they can be hauled before the courts, the better. And it is to be hoped that any punishments given will be severe enough to deter them, and others, from doing anything like this again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:40 pm 
Spider Lady

Unbelievable!

If it is youths - whoever it is...you have to blame their upbringing don't you? What parent or guardian brings a child up with so little respect for the dead or a place of worship? I am agnostic, have been for many years but I still have respect for the beliefs of others.
I bet they only get a slap on the wrist if they are found!

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:42 pm 
Willfinder General

Disgusting!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:44 pm 
Librarian

This country is in a sorry state, total lack of respect for anything or anyone. There is no punishment or deterrent, no matter what the crime maybe, "they" get off far too lightly.
This is one of my bugbares, it absolutely infuriates me, if parents cant or wont control their children, then they should'nt have em.
I have vented my spleen now, but it makes me so angry, the softly softly attitude. :x

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:31 pm 
Tour Guide

A MAN whose brother is buried in a cemetery desecrated by vandals has slammed the lack of punishments in place to deter yobs.

For five decades the body of George Brown has rested in peace in the secluded Ribble Valley Remembrance Park, Mitton Road, Whalley, since his burial there in 1965.

But the peace and tranquility has been shattered in recent weeks by the sick actions of yobs who have vandalised memorials and chapels in the cemetery.

George is one of 995 former Calderstones Hospital patients buried at the site and his brother Gordon Brown, 65, of Northwich, Cheshire, said he was disgusted at the vandalism reported in the Lancashire Telegraph last Thursday.

Mr Brown said: “My brother was at Calderstones for 10 years before he died at the age of 23.

“Anybody who could do something like this needs locking up, they are thugs.”

And the former psychiatric nurse said there was nothing in place to deal with the people carrying out these acts.

He said: “It is these people doing acts like this who are mindless, it is them who should be incarcerated.

“Even if they do get caught they get a slap on the wrist and an ASBO, when they should be given hard labour.

“Prisons are just hotels now so they are not afraid of being locked up.

“This policy of dealing with criminals maked me ashamed to share the same name as the Prime Minister.

“It is them that are causing the damage by showing that they aren’t tough enough on crime.

“What has happened up there at the cemetery is a disgrace but I don’t expect anything much will be done to them even if the people responsible are caught.”

Police Chief Inspector Jenny Coulston said last week that she believed more than one person was involved in the damage.

She added: “Someone will know who has done this and I appeal for them to come forward.

“The people who have done this are despicable and should be brought to justice.

“It is an act of wanton destruction. Would they have done it if it was their relatives buried here?”

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:39 pm 
Spider Lady

We live in an age where society is too 'PC'. They avoid locking people up because the prisons are overcrowded. Do criminals deserve space and comfort? Make them suffer, make them not want to go back. You only have to read through the Papers Past topic to see some of the punishments that were dished up in years ago. I can't believe prisons were not overcrowded when people were jailed for crimes that are considered 'petty' today and would only get community service.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:46 pm 
Willfinder General

They were overcrowded, that’s why they got sent to the colonies! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:25 pm 
Tour Guide

Probably send them on a luxury cruise now.