Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:40 am 

In today's Daily Mail - someone sent three DNA samples to three different agencies and they came back with three different results!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:44 am 
Computer Whizz

That's reliable then :lol:

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

Post subject: Re: DNA testing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:31 pm 
Librarian

Ancestry.co.uk have a special offer on at the moment until 30th Sept, 50% off DNA tests, cant see the point myself, think they are still pricey anyway, they must not be selling very well, hence the 50% off.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:20 pm 
Spider Lady

I am in agreement Stephanie. If I was to do mine, I'd want results for both maternal and paternal from one submission of DNA. Doesn't interest me at all....it's not specific enough. I'd like to be able to prove a connection between Kris's Sutcliffes and my Sutcliffes but these DNA things don't provide that kind of result.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:06 pm 
Mongrel

Here's a quote from the latest Lost Cousins newsletter:

Which? slams DNA tests
Over the past year I've repeatedly warned members about the way in which DNA tests are marketed to genealogists, and now the Consumers' Association has reached the same conclusion.
Their article is headlined "We reveal online DNA tests are waste of money" and ends with the damning statement: "It’s unlikely that any of the information we received would help in researching a family tree. In fact, the results are so vague it’s almost the equivalent of telling someone what their star sign is."

My (Charon's) feeling is that if you want to know if you have Viking, or gypsy, or African, ancestry, DNA testing might tell you: but that's about as far as it goes - as far as I can see!

By the way, I've found a couple of very helpful contacts through Lost Cousins, and anyway its newsletter is usually well worth reading. Have a look.

Charon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:27 pm 
Spider Lady

http://www.lostcousins.com/

Looks like it's changed a lot since I was last on there. I might just have a nosey round later.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:50 am 
Spider Lady

I like the way Lost Cousins is heading. It's a similiar system to Genes Reunited in that they seacrh their database and match you with other people researching the same name.

I joined Genes Reunited when it was in its early days but no longer subscribe or receive their so called 'hot matches', I got fed up with deleting masses of connections where the only match was the surname. I'm sure many people find it is a great resource but it's not for me.

I have yet to receive news of any matches through Lost Cousins but from what I understand, there is no room for error. You add the ancestor based on their 1881 census entry. This is then cross checked against other entries in their database and they will only notify if someone has added identical details. I've only added a couple of ancestors so far, I added those who I have no living connections for so far. Fingers crossed that someone comes along with a match!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:47 am 
Mongrel

You can add people from the 1841 census too. And since you specify the exact page they're on and exactly what information is given (even if the spellling or age or place of birth is wrongly recorded) you can be sure, as Mel says, that any match it finds is exactly the right person - provided neither you nor the other researcher has made an error! The first contact I made was one I already had from Genes Reunited (though I very much agree with Mel's comments on GR) but since then I've found two goldmines.

Charon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:55 pm 
Librarian

I have just tried to log onto the above web site, all I got was a message saying Internal Server Error, does anyone know why that has happened. :?

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:19 pm 
Spider Lady

I think the site might be busier than they anticipated causing them to exceed the bandwidth allocated to them...only guessing. I'm not 100% sure. When that happens with sites on our server, we get a bandwidth exceeded message instead of the website page.

It happened to me this morning on Lost Cousins Stephanie.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:26 am 
Spider Lady

It's back up and running. I've added a few more of my ancestors and I have a match!

I can't wait for the free trial so that I can contact this person!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:21 pm 
Spider Lady

Charon, I have added an ancestor who appears on the 1881 census. This same ancestor is also on the 1841. Do I add the ancestor again or can I edit and add the 1841 census to the existing entry?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:31 pm 
Spider Lady

As this ancestor appears as a child in 1841, I have added his father as the main name and then Samuel is an additional member to the household.
This is the only flaw I have found with the LostCousins website so far. I would have liked to have entered the 41 census info to the exisiting entry.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:23 pm 
Mongrel

Mel,

I hadn't even thought about this issue, just entered people from either Census independently. In fact, on the basis of a quick count, I have 66 in 1881 and 46 in 1841, and only a handful appear in both, so I don't see it as a problem from the data entry aspect. An individual who was the head of a household in 1881 would in most if not all cases have been a junior member of a different household in 1841, so it might be quite hard to devise a means of linking them that would suit all circumstances. And it's important that the individual is linked to the Census page reference in each Census so that if someone else has found that individual but only in one Census, the match is still found for you.

What matters is: how many matches, and how many new-found cousins? Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:32 pm 
Mongrel

Looking at this thread again reminds me that there is another purportedly worthwhile aspect of DNA testing, that applies when a good-sized group of people who think they have some genetic feature in common all have their DNA tested. I know that some surnames have had collective tests like this (Leeming is one such name) and at least as far as the male line is concerned the test is alleged to be able to confirm which of them share a common ancestor - recently or hundreds of years ago. I don't know how confident one can be of the findings, though.......

Charon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next