Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Old hymn books?d modern
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:32 pm 

Burnley Express 15 March 1884 : Obituary : James Greenwood of Extwistle Mill (Young Jim o' Kebs)
born 1803, buried in St James' Briercliffe. "He was a great admirer of sacred music, and composed several anthems which still retain their position in the musical world". Well there are no mentions in Groves' multi-volume 'Dictionary of music', or in (the current) 'Hymns ancient and modern'. Does anyone have old (local?) hymn books or music sheets or memories including any of his works? (An "anthem" is technically a religious text set to music, sometimes using another composer's music, Brahms being a popular 'donor' in the nineteenth century). Any references or reminisences welcomed with thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:00 am 
Willfinder General

This grave must relate to James (lived at Extwistle Mill)
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... nwood1.htm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:33 am 
Spider Lady

Welcome to the site Dan.

I had a look last night for a grave to match the details Dan has kindly added but couldn't find anything. Mind you, I could hardly keep my eyes open!

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject: Re: Old hymn books?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:21 pm 

How very kind of you to look for James' grave - thank you. I'm glad to see his son William's memorial stone is now on the Society website. William (1824-1881) died 3 years before his father James (1803-1884). While William and his family (including HIS son James) have that quite imposing plot at St James', neither I nor (so far) the Church have been able to locate his father's grave there. You more experienced genealogists than I will not be surprised that it gets a bit complicated, in that James (1803-1884) also had a son called James about 1843, the same year that his firstborn son William (1824-1881) had his son James.
It's the history, loves, feuds and crises that one discovers around the genealogy that is makes it so fascinating - and vice versa, the genealogy puts the history into human terms. Hence my search for James' (1803-1884) "sacred music". DAN