Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CATLOW
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:44 pm 
Spider Lady

Burnley Express and News

March 3 1943

Widow's Suicide

Concerned about her friend, Margaret Catlow (59), 23, Nora-street, Barrowford, whom she had not seen during the day, Mrs Jane Loftus, of 19 Gisburn-road, called at her house on Saturday night, but could find no sign of her. She found some notes but not having her spectacles could not read them, and took them home. What she read caused her to hurry back, and she found Mrs. Catlow hanging from a beam.
The evidence at the inquest on Monday showed that Mrs. Catlow had been depressed since the death of her husband last year. One note she left read: "I have been out all noght. I could not face another night, so I thought I would end it all." Another note said "My nerves have got on the top of me, and I cannot sleep. Everything is all wrong. My mind won't work, and I am afraid of having to go away. Nobody is to blame. Everybody is trying to do their best for me." There was a thirdnote about the disposition of Mrs. Catlow's property.
The Coroner returned a verdict of "Suicide while not of sound mind."

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:11 am 
Willfinder General

When- 6th January, 1864
Where – The Infirmary, Blackburn
Name – Edmund Catlow
Sex - Male
Age – 31 years
Occupation – Loomer in a cotton factory
Cause – Bronchitis acute 9 days. Certified
Informant – x the mark of Catherine Catlow, present at death of 64 Leyland street, Blackburn
Registered – 6th January, 1864
Registrar – William Barlow Fairbrother, Registrar

Can someone find Edmund Catlow on the 1861 census for me please?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:49 am 
Spider Lady

Burnley Express

Wednesday 13 February 1895

Sudden Death of Councillor Sagar, J.P.

It is with deep regret that we have to record the sudden death of Councillor John Sagar, J.P., which occurred at his residence, Barkerhouse-road, Nelson, on Monday evening. Up to Saturday he was at business at Trawden, but on Monday evening serious symptoms were observed, and before medical assistance could be obtained the unfortunate gentleman had succumbed, death being due to fatty degeneration of the heart. Mr Sagar was born at Catlow Hall, Nelson, in 1835, and was therefore 59 years of age. His father was a Lancashire yoeman and an extensive landed proprietor, especially about Southfield. The family is one of the oldest in the district. Throstle Nest Mill was erected and worked by the members of the family for some time, but the subject of this notice began business as a cotton manufacturer at Trawden in partnership with his brother Stephen, nearly 40 years ago. The partnership did not exist many years, and Mr. Sagar continued business on his own account up to his death. From his earliest days he took an active interest in whatever concerned the welfare of the district, and was chairman of the Trawden Local Board over 30 years ago, and a valuable member for a long time. Although he did not come forward as a candidate for local honours in Nelson during the regime of the old Local Board he was induced, when the town was incorporated, to contest Southfield Ward in the the Liberal interest, and up to his death continued to represent the ward. Last year Mr. Sagar was elected chairman of the Trawden District Council. In politics he was a Gladstonian, and in creed a member of the Wesleyan denomination; in fact, John Wesley, it is said, was entertained at the old residence at Southfield when he visited this district. As an official of Carr-road Wesley Chapel since its erection, Mr. Sagar was instrumental in furthering the cause, and his generosity was very marked in many respects. He leaves a widow and a family of two sons and one daughter. The funeral will take place to-morrow (Thursday) morning at St. John's Church, where the family have a vault.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:47 am 
Spider Lady

Burnley Express
Wednesday 03 January 1894
Deaths
Dec. 31 -John Catlow, Holt Hill, 82 years

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:39 am 
Spider Lady

Express and News

18 December 1935

Retired farmer's Death

Mr. John Catlow (73), of 4, Atkinson-street, Harle Syke, a former well-known Briercliffe farmer, died suddenly at his home last Sunday evening. Mr. Catlow, who had resided with his married daughter, Mrs. Hartley, at the above address, for the past two years, was born in the Lanehead district, and after following the occupation of a warp dresser turned his attention to farming, taking over Yeoman's Farm, Briercliffe, which he farmed for over twenty years. He retired 15 years ago, but continued to live at the farm cottage until he removed to Burnley Lane three years later. Yeoman's Farm is now occupied by his son-in-law, Mr. V. Bryan. He leaves one son and three daughters, his wife having died in 1911. The funeral will take place to-morrow in Haggate Baptist Burial Ground.