Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mill owners
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:49 am 
Spider Lady

Does anyone have any knowledge of a Mr Pemberton who might have been a mill owner during the second world war?
I have received a query by email.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject: Re: Mill owners
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:13 pm 
Computer Whizz

Roger could possibly answer that one.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:10 pm 
Librarian

Mel, There was a Pemberton's Waterloo Foundry, they were textile engineers and loom makers, that is all I have found up to now, but I will keep looking.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:27 pm 
Spider Lady

Thanks Stephanie.

I thought that too Gloria. I will phone him tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:35 pm 
Spider Lady

Mr Pemberton may have lived just outside Briercliffe in a house called 'Rockwood'.

Has any heard of it? No luck with todays attempt to phone Roger. Will try again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:47 pm 
Mongrel

from Multimap:

Rockwood
Nelson Rd, Briercliffe, Burnley, Lancashire BB10, UK

I have no idea whether this could be right - I just Googled rockwood briercliffe and this came up!

Charon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:55 pm 
Mongrel

P S

The Royal Mail postcode finder gives BB10 3QF for Rockwood, Nelson Rd. Multimap appears to put it in Halifax Rd but I see one road is the continuation of the other.

Charon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:29 am 
Spider Lady

It is by the Golf Club - mum and I park there sometimes for a cuppa or a if we go for a wander as the road is a bit wider. It is just past the sign that says Briercliffe.

Thanks Charon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:39 am 
Mongrel

I wonder if there are any living relatives of Mr P who might be contacted. I looked for Pemberton in BT Directory Enquiries and found five with 01282 numbers - all in Nelson. But there isn't a Pemberton at Rockwood, or if there is they are ex-directory! Or how about the Voters' Register?

As you suggested in your PM, Mel, memories of evacuees in Briercliffe (and indeed momories of WWII generally) might be a good topic. I spent the wartime in my grandfather's vicarage at Higher Walton (near Preston) while my father was in the Army, but I was too young to remember much about it.

Charon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:01 pm 
Spider Lady

The query came from a gentleman whose mother was an evacuee to the address mentioned above. I am corresponding with her son. She is quite excited that we are all trying to help and is happy to share her memories with us. Her goal is to visit the area.

Gloria & Portia - I asked the gentleman if it would be possible to document his mothers memories for the project Roger plans to discuss at the next meeting. I was 'chatting' with Charon on the PM and I said that WW2 memories were not something I had given much though to. I wonder what people in the area remember of the time? (Not just Briercliffe folk but Burnley and its surrounding villages.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:21 pm 
Spider Lady

I have just spoken with Roger, he is happy to arrange a visit with the lady in question.
He also remembers the Pembertons. They seem to have been quite a wealthy family with loom manufacturers as well as mill owners in the family.
He 'worked' with one Pemberton family when he was studying, they had the knowledge/experience required for a project he was doing. It's possible that they are the same family or descendants of the family that this lady is interested in.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:41 pm 
Willfinder General

I think evacuee memories would very interesting. I didn’t realise children from Burnley and the surrounding towns were evacuated too be honest, and I thought it was only children from the larger cities, like London and Manchester.

My Grandma told me that Burnley was important to the war effort, but because its located in a valley and its cloudy, the German bombers could never find it and Burnley was only bombed twice during WW2, Thompson’s park being one of the bombing sites. Can anyone confirm this?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:40 pm 
Librarian

Apparently there were 3 bombs dropped on Burnley, one in Thompson park, one at Crown Point, but I cant find anything out about the third bomb.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:43 pm 
Librarian

Quite possibly only 2 Kris, as I cant find a third.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:14 pm 
Librarian

I wonder what people in the area remember of the time? (Not just Briercliffe folk but Burnley and its surrounding villages.)

I asked my MIL what she remembered about her time in WW2, she lived in Ramsbottom, which is a small town 13 miles from Burnley, here are her memories:
Started in the infant school class at Holcombe school, in the shadow of Holcolmbe Moor the year that war broke out. I remember the older boys had an allotment accross the road and the rest of us had a weekly ramble on the moors collecting sheep wool from the hedges and heather which was used in the making of uniforms, this was all collected and put into sacks, then picked up and taken to nearby weaving sheds that produced cloth for school uniforms.
When the air raid siren was sounded we had to leave school, cross the road, pass the church, down a large field to the rectory cellar, about a 10 minutes walk!!! Later on the school cellar was partially cleared and used as a shelter. Where we sat among spare desks and chairs in the dust having a sing song until the all clear was sounded. At home we had to crowd in the area under the stairs, day or night whenever the siren sounded.
My Father was in the Home Guard and had to do night duty at Peel Tower or Grants Tower in case the Nazis dropped in by parachute. My Grandad kept hens in a small allotment so our meagre rations were eked out. Children were allocated orange juice and cod liver oil, which was horrible, I did however like the dried egg that we had to use instead of the real thing, because of rationing. Like most parents, mine would skimp on their rations to give to their children.
I remember us going one time to Stubbins to see where a landmine had dropped causing damage, but no serious casualties, unlike in Tottington, a small village next door, where on Christmas Eve 1944 a stray 'doodlebug' landed killing 7 people, injuring several others and causing severe damage to many houses.
The day VE was announced the whole town congregated on the market place. There was dancing, singing and celebrating to music amplified by a man who had a record and music shop across the road. Afterwards our parents and friends went to the local pub and us kids all stayed at a house nearby with pop and crisps.

Stephanie.