Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Immigrants - TWICE!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:02 am 

They were James Halstead and Mary Ann Ion from Briercliffe/Burnley who first emigrated to Canada in 1895 to homestead, only to then move to Australia in 1911 where they remained.

My family is made up of immigrants of one sort or another (obviously:D), but this was the first that I'd seen that emigrated twice.

I never met my grandparents and knew nothing about them, and didn't know any of this history until very recently, so tracing my family and finding that they had such strong roots in the one place (Briercliffe) is really moving.
I never knew where the name Halstead was from or what it meant - and now I do.

I am really appreciative of all the work that has gone into photographing the gravestones. I have already found a family gravestone here.

Post subject: Re: Immigrants - TWICE!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:45 am 
Spider Lady

Welcome to the site.

There is a lot of Halstead material on the site, much of it is thanks to Suzycue.

Have a look at the gravestone transcriptions here on the forum, you may find more info of interest. Not all of the stones are standing today but the stones were transcribed many years ago so the details are available if the image isn't.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject: Re: Immigrants - TWICE!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:27 am 

Thank you very much.

I actually stumbled onto the forum after finding a page of Halstead grave inscriptions here when googling. I'm still building my family tree and figuring out who everyone is - but I think I've seen a couple of great-great aunts and uncles.